Thursday, November 16, 2023

I'm Worried About The Pandas' Mental Health


 My Google News Feed really dumped on me today. It was bad enough wading through the tragic events in Gaza, the barrage of intensifying bad behaviour among republicans in the House of Representatives, and another road closure in my neighbourhood, but did it have to tell me about how China is cruelly using their Pandas as a bargaining chip?  As always, no need to click over to the article because as I said so many years ago, when there is a Panda story, I am all over it. That is my vow to you.

As some of you may know, China refused to renew our Panda Lease on three Pandas we had here in the US (Tian Tian, Mei Xiang, and Xiao Qi Ji housed at the National Zoo, DC). They were bid a tearful farewell when their lease was up about a week and a half ago. Previous to that, Pandas living happily in San Diego and Memphis had their Panda Visas cancelled, too. The only remaining Pandas are in Atlanta, and their lease expires next year, at which time they're also headed back to China. 

Previously, Panda Leases were perfunctorily extended, but since diplomatic relations have gotten a little strained, the Chinese decided to Pull Their Pandas. President Xi didn't like that the US shot down his spy balloon; he didn't appreciate then-Speaker Pelosi's visit to Taiwan. Basically, Xi said, "Hey, just for that, we're taking back our Pandas!"

He's a tough guy, that Xi. He was, however, moved to find out that Americans, especially children, went to the zoo to say goodbye to the Pandas. That evidently softened him up a little. “Pandas have long been envoys of friendship between the Chinese and American peoples. We are ready to continue our cooperation with the United States on Panda conservation,” he said. Translation:  Make nice here if you want some Pandas, Mr. President.

This Panda Diplomacy has gone on since 1972 when Nixon made his historic visit to China. Since then, China has gifted nations with Pandas as a sign of friendship and good diplomatic relations. And when the nations displease them, China yanks those Pandas back. 

China also gets all the Pandas born to their Pandas in other nations. I feel bad for those little Pandas, raised in another country and shipped off to China. They don't know the language! Everyone looks different than what they're used to! It's a culture shock!

Maybe we should tell Xi Jinping thanks, but no thanks. It all sounds traumatic for the Pandas, young or old. Maybe China should just keep their Pandas to themselves.

image

21 comments:

  1. I want a Panda. I did have a large one (biger than me) when I was a toddler. I wonder whatever happened to it? I will also confess that I have a hate/love/hate relationship with zoos. I love seeing the animals, I hate that they are in zoos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vera--Who doesn't want a panda? I'd even settle for one of those red pandas--they're awfully cute even though they look a lot like a snazzy raccoon. I've never even seen an actual panda in person (in panda?).

      I love the zoo. Ours in Cleveland has so many wonderful huge habitats that the animals aren't in cages or terribly restricted. And zoos now are truly working to conserve and protect species. Would I rather they all be out in the wild? Of course. But they're also not on their own at the mercy of predators or trophy hunters or the elements or the capriciousness of the food supply.
      That makes me feel pretty good.

      Delete
  2. Pandas should not be in the US anyway. They're not native and the climate can be hard on them. I don't know. I guess I feel pretty strongly that if China doesn't want help from the US in its breeding program, then the US should step away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NGS--China wants to use its pandas as a bargaining chip, period. Trust me, the Chinese are ALL ABOUT their pandas. If they thought that their pandas would suffer in any way in the US, then no pandas would ever come to the US. Pandas have successfully bred in the States and get better healthcare than you and I do.

      Delete
  3. These poor pandas, being used as diplomatic tools!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzanne--They're mere pawndas in the game of international politics!

      Delete
  4. They don't know the language. Thanks for the informative post about pandas. I remember going to see the one in DC. You sure know your stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ernie--LOL. I read the article and boiled it down here for you, adding some funny. Plus, yes, I do know some Panda stuff.

      Delete
  5. Pandas? More like pawndas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MIKEY! I made the same pun above before reading your comment! LOL Great minds. Hee hee!

      Delete
  6. I've been following the panda news story and worried about them, too. You said it: "They don't know the language! Everyone looks different than what they're used to! It's a culture shock!" I fret for the young ones sense of self.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ally--Glad to know I'm not the only Panda Observer/Enthusiast. I've been following pandas almost since the beginning days of this blog, lo! these past 18 years. Uprooting the pandas, especially the ones born here, seems cruel to me. But the Chinese are quite adamant and covetous about their national symbol.

      Delete
  7. Oof - I wasn't worried about pandas until this minute. I admit, it's a little easier to worry about them than it is to be confronted by all the other evil in the world. So thanks Nance. And sorry pandas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bug--Sometimes, we need to focus our worry on a fairly innocuous thing lest we become overwhelmed. And when that thing is cute and cuddly and furry, so much the better. You're welcome.

      Delete
  8. I did hear on the radio that some pandas were headed back to China, but I thought that was some form of reciprocity... I didn't realize they were being held hostage. Boo! I wish I could BE a panda, just gently tumbling down hillocks and nibbling treats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maya--Pandas have The Life, for sure. They basically are children forever, pampered and played with. They have nannies! Pandas are VIPs.

      Delete
  9. I actually got to visit the Pandas in Washinton when they were newly there as a treat - wives' program at a conference my husband was at. They were adorable. But I had to explain, in my horrible French, what they were about to an European wife whose second language it also was. How does one explain about bamboo when one does not know the word for it. Love pandas, but I wished their diet was more varied, on that visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary--I agree about the bamboo. Has anyone even tried to give them something else? It seems to me that they'd enjoy something different once in a while. Why not try tossing an apple to them, or a carrot, or a sweet potato? It's hard for me to believe that Science hasn't come up with Panda Chow by now. Come on!

      Delete
  10. The poor Pandas put in the middle. Just like a bad divorce where the kids suffer.
    I think we should say goodbye to the sweet Pandas and anything else China wants to send over here. Do you know they are buying a lot of Cattle Ranches? That worries me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BB Suz--Exactly! I wish there were a Department of Panda Family and Child Services.

      If I remember my reading correctly, foreign interests from a few countries are buying up land--including the water rights--in the US. It's becoming a concern to more people than just you. Since drought and fires, exacerbated by climate change, have become more common in the Southwest region, water has become a more limited resource. It's a national problem.

      Delete

Oh, thank you for joining the fray!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...