Friday, November 17, 2023

I Need To Tell You Something

 This is a difficult post for me to write, so I'm going to start right in and not worry too awfully much about structure and correctness. It's important for me to share this so that I can avoid awkward questions later on and truly share the Joy to come.

Many of you recall that three years ago, almost to the day, (I was writing every day then, too) I wrote a post titled The Best Thing That Happened To Me This Year. In it I wrote about my eldest son Jared moving out of his apartment and into the home of his girlfriend and her three children who went on to call me Nana. A few posts throughout the subsequent months referred now and then to my grandchildren. I love them dearly.

Sadly, Jared and their mother became increasingly unhappy. There were too many obstacles to overcome. They separated, and Rick and I tried to stay in the kids' lives. It was very difficult, but I persevered, especially with the (then) eight-year-old. I would always respond to her FaceTime and text. I got her and her brother and sister birthday and Christmas gifts. Soon, I began to see her confusion that we were not invited to family gatherings for occasions. She would text Are you coming? Are you on your way? I knew that this little girl didn't need more upheaval in her life, what with a biological father, two sets of grandparents already, the father's girlfriend and her children, and her own family. And what would happen if her mom became serious with someone? More grandparents? It was time to let her go. Luckily, she was becoming busier and busier with friends and summertime/school activities. Our contact was becoming less and less frequent anyway.

My grief at losing them--especially her--was overwhelming. I didn't feel comfortable sharing it. It seemed ethereal; as if the Having and then the Losing weren't real. I carried it heavily for more than a year. Now, it's lighter, but very much there.

I wanted to tell you this because I have Important Joyful News. Jared is getting married to a wonderful woman named Jordan in September. She is perfect for him. Even more Joyful is that they are having a baby on Monday. We already know it's a boy. Chances are that I'll be referring to all that here at some point, and I want to be able to do so without confusion or questions.

It's a little bit painful for me when people say, "Oh! Your first grandchild!" Because, you see, I was very much a grandmother to three children already who called me Nana with genuine love and respect. Even people who know about the other three say this, and I know what they mean. I know they aren't trying to be hurtful or dismissive. Perhaps I just need more time.

And none of this mitigates my Joy for this brand new grandson. Or for my son and his wonderful fiancee. 

Thank you for being the kind of people to whom I can tell this story. I appreciate you.

18 comments:

  1. Oh, what complicated feelings. I am so happy for Jared and Jordan! Yay! A brand new baby! May the delivery be smooth and everyone healthy. But so much of your grief comes across the page about the loss of those three children in your life. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear...this is complicated for sure. I think it's wonderful that you made such an impression on those three kids...and they on you. But moving on (as we must always do), such great news about Jared and Jordan and the little boy to be. Happy, happy, happy. Wishing them many, many joyful years together. I'm a firm believer in things happening for a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Nance. So many complicated feelings, I'm sure. Congratulations on welcoming new faces into your family and condolences on the loss of those other children in your life. Life is never straightforward or easy is it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. This post is full of news and emotions. I'm so sorry for the heartache of connecting and then having to disconnect with three sweet children. I imagine that your presence in their life meant so much. I'm sure your heart is still full of love for them and I bet they feel that from a distance.

    Exciting news about the baby. I look forward to future posts with more info and updates about him. Best of luck for an uneventful delivery. Hooray that Jared found a great match. Great news!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can only imagine how difficult this has been. Lives today are much more complicated, I think, than in my mom and dad's youth. I think what you did was for the best. Congratulations on your new grandchild!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! I am sad and happy for you. The loss of those three children in your life is very real, but the joy for the happy relationship and new baby is so real, too. Wishing you all the best as you make your way through all these emotions. Cuddle the new baby for me--I love babies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy for you to be able to set this down here and enjoy all the impending happiness of grandbaby and wedding. Congratulations and every best wish for all the ways you're growing your family!

    (In case this helps: Sometimes in my work as a court advocate for children in the foster system, I'm mandated to cease contact with kids after they're adopted, it's the best thing for them although it's always a wrench for me. I know your decision feels heavy and complicated, so I'm sending love and solidarity to you.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Life is so complicated sometimes. I feel for you and your heartbreak over losing contact with your granddaughter, but know detaching from her was for the best. I am thrilled to know that you'll be a grandmother again in just a few days. Happiness is pending.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My heart hurt for your loss and then my heart was full for this new news.

    I get it. You loved (LOVE) those three with your whole heart and then poof, the story has shifted. It's a tough situation for all involved, but I think you made the best choice in letting her go. She will have lifetime memories of you though, of this time of her life.

    Congratulations on the big news! I am overjoyed for all of you. Praying for an easy delivery of the newest little man who will steal your heart. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  10. Life gets complicated, doesn't it. Happy for Jared and Jordan. I hope they've picked out a name for the baby that starts with a 'J'.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Nance. The heartache of losing a loved one due to divorce or separation is so hard. But I think you're right that sometimes the thing that is least hurtful in the long run is to let go. I am thinking of my brother's first wife, whom I loved, and whom I considered a sister. But our relationship stopped being something that brought her joy and only served as a reminder of pain, so we drifted apart and I think it's for the best, even if I miss her and think of her often. I can only imagine how difficult it has been for you to relinquish your grandmotherly claim on these three kiddos.
    And also: what wonderful, joyous news! So many congratulations on your son's impending marriage and on the arrival of your new grandbaby!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everyone--Thank you all so much for your kind comments. Your support and understanding means a great deal to me. I especially appreciate those of you who shared personal stories, letting me know that you, too, have either gone through something similar or have had an experience that might help me navigate this further. All of you have taken the time to respond here with grace and support, and I'm so grateful.

    I also thank you for your good wishes with regard to Jared and Jordan and little Theo! Thanks to the incredible technology available, I've already seen his face on ultrasound imaging. I can't wait to see him in person, and it won't be long now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing your story. Yes, life does get difficult. You had a genuine reaction to this event. Don't minimize it. Maybe you can reach out to her on her birthday and send a positive memory to her. I'm certain she won't forget your kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It has to be SO HARD to lose your grandkids like that. To not have the claim to them that being biological grandparents would give you, though even that isn't a guarantee sometimes. I know you have been in mourning for this relationship, and I'm so very sorry for that loss.

    At the same exact time, YAY, so excited for your little Grandson, scheduled to come on Monday! I will look forward to hearing about Theo!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had noticed that you haven't talked about them lately and wondered what was going on. I'm so sorry. I have a friend who had a situation where she was helping out a young cousin by letting her live with her during and after her pregnancy. We got to see lots of cute photos of the twins and L definitely thought of them as grandchildren. Then the mother moved out & took them away and they no longer have contact. It was pretty devastating. She has other grandchildren now, but there's still a pang. Sometimes life is just the pits.

    And congrats to all of you for the lovely life about to burst onto the scene! I can't wait to hear stories.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's tough, and lining it out is tough as well. I am glad you have done so, though, as it will let all of us tread gently. Having watched a child's marriage disintegrate, I believe I can relate to the difficulty and pain. But it gets better, truly. They get better. You feel better. Hugs called for and virtually wrapping this up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really, really sorry that you are going through this heartbreaking situation with the grandkids, Nance. Time, of course, will soften the blow, but I can imagine how this has caused you so much pain. I remember you talking about them in previous posts, and you seemed to get so much joy from being their 'Nana.'

    —On the other end of the spectrum, I am so happy for your Joyful News about Jared and Jordan! Would love to see a photo or two later on, but completely understand that you might not want to publish any photos on your blog. Do keep us posted, in any case. XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks to all of you who stopped by to add your thoughts and kind support. It is so helpful to know that many of you have either gone through similar heartbreak or know someone who has. It is heartening to know that I'm not alone in my feelings. As always, I appreciate you taking the time to be here with me, offering words of friendship and support. It means so much.

    ReplyDelete

Oh, thank you for joining the fray!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...