Friday, November 24, 2023

My Thanksgiving Wasn't...Mine, And I Had To Find My Way

 

Yesterday was not my usual Thanksgiving Day in so many ways. I thrive on quiet, lack of spontaneity, and routine, and not having my usual holiday made me feel sort of lost and rattled. Still, there were enough touchstones of tradition and routine that grounded me. 

I didn't host our family Thanksgiving. Instead, because Jordan's family flew in from the West, we joined them for a lovely time (and later took food to the hospital for Jared and Jordan). I still baked pies, however, and Rick made his famous cranberry orange relish. I also made roasted Brussels sprouts (which suffered in the hour-plus journey, sadly). We also supplied the wine. Do I have a turkey waiting in my basement fridge? Yes, I do. Did I make a ridiculous amount of stuffing/dressing today? Yes, I did. Let's hear it for Second Thanksgiving.

This year, I did not watch any part of The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. I had every incentive to watch it, too, since I heard that there were strong winds with gusts that made it iffy for the balloons to even be in the parade. I still remember the year that strong winds wreaked havoc on balloons, causing handlers to be dragged along the route. That same year, those winds caused Barney to deflate after he got torn open. A few years before, Kermit the Frog suffered the same fate. I'm willing to suffer through a lot of drivel from Al Roker and his harem just in case a balloon goes haywire. Oh, and for the arrival of Santa. Macy's has the best Santa, bar none.

I did, however, watch a bit of the National Dog Show. Gosh, I love a dog show, especially one in which a poodle does not win. I have a deep bias against all poodles, and I'm unapologetic about it. Let me just say that I Have Tried with poodles many times. They make zero effort in return, so I'm done. In this year's Dog Show, once again, my favourite dog, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, did not win anything. I'm starting to think the fix is in. 

We got to spend time with Jared and Jordan, and Emily (Sam's longtime partner) stopped by for a visit and to cut some fresh rosemary from my herb garden and sample Rick's relish. We did not see Sam, unfortunately, but he'll be here for Second Thanksgiving. Thank goodness for the family group chat; we were all connected that way. (And yes, Longtime Readers, I do remember all the times I said I'd never (A) text or (B) use text as a verb, and now I do both.)

It wasn't our usual Thanksgiving, but it was a pretty good one. Our usual Thanksgivings are bound to be changing anyway, come to think of it. Could the fortunes of the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever be next? I sure hope so.


image

16 comments:

  1. In some ways it is the Thanksgivings that were out of the ordinary that I remember most vividly. Yours actually sounds wonderful to me, if for no other reason than the reason it wasn't typical is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ally--That's true. Having pedestrian Tgivings may be comforting, but they all blend together. This one will definitely be memorable.

      Delete
  2. Enjoy your second Thanksgiving! It sounds like a really good day, spending time with Jordan's family, going to the hospital, all of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J--Thank you. It was a really good day. It just felt odd and disjointed to me. But it was definitely fun and her family is a good time.

      Delete
  3. You had much for which to be thankful. Not least of these things is Not Cooking Turkey, in my opinion. For the last few festivities chez G, a daughter has dealt with the bird. And I am deeply thankful. Note, that was October up here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary--Yes, roasting the turkey--although so much of it is hands off--can be a pain. It takes up so much oven space! The timing is never perfect! I hope your Thanksgiving IN OCTOBER was lovely, both weather-wise and otherwise.

      I felt very thankful on our Thanksgiving. Very.

      Delete
  4. I don't know how you had the energy to write this lovely post after everything you have been through this week. It amazes me that you could even put together some of the traditional remnants of a Thanksgiving meal. I would have just said, "We'll have standard food today and next year Thanksgiving will be business as usual."

    Texting with group chat: we use it occasionally in my family. My brother also likes to use FaceTime for family connections over the holidays. Not a fan of that unless I get a lot of advance notice, lol. Take care, Nance, get some rest for goodness sake, and do continue to send baby news when you can. XXOO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ortizzle--Thank you, dear friend. As far as the meal, Jordan's family are great believers in caterers for the big stuff. We all made sides--she, mashed potatoes and salad and real whipped cream. I provided the aforementioned veg, pies, relish. I was concerned it might all fall through since we had no idea of Theo's arrival, etc., so I thawed a turkey just in case. Hence, Second Thanksgiving. Besides, Sam cannot go without my stuffing.

      Our family's group chat is at times ridiculous. It's definitely like having us all in a room together, and the comedic value is pretty good. On Saturday mornings, Jared likes to video call Sam from bed, shirtless. Emily always says, "Sam, Jared's chest is calling you."
      XXOO!

      Delete
  5. I need to know more about Second Thanksgiving... Is that for when grownup kids have other obligations on Thanksgiving? Family chat is definitely something that helps me feel connected to the everyday stuff in my kids' lives.

    Cranberry relish and Brussels sprouts are my favorite Thanksgiving things anyway, glad you had some of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maya--Second Thanksgiving is new here. I just made it up for my family. But yes, I'm making a turkey, stuffing/dressing, and Rick will make more relish. I had thawed a turkey just in case our planned Thanksgiving with Jordan's family went awry due to the uncertainty of Theo's birthday, how everyone would feel, Covid, etc. Now I have to use that turkey, of course, and Sam is missing my stuffing. So a second turkey dinner has to happen.

      I like the idea of a Second Thanksgiving anyway for any contigency, like the one you mentioned. And it can be anytime.

      Delete
  6. I had a feeling your Thanksgiving would go sideways (but hopefully still be lovely). I am intrigued by the relish. Unexpectedly my 3rd favorite thing this year was my aunt's cranberry salad (behind banana pudding & persimmon pudding, and slightly ahead of sweet potato souffle).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bug--I knew that Tgiving could go all sorts of haywire, hence my own turkey thawing in my basement fridge. Once in a while, I do prepare for the unexpected (if anyone ever truly can).

      The cranberry relish is no secret; it's the original one from the back of the Ocean Spray fresh cranberry bag. It can be made with fresh or frozen cranberries. Here's the link.

      Delete
  7. I howled through this whole post. I read it aloud to Mini who goes back to school tomorrow. Barney deflating, the possible dragging of balloon handlers, and you being done with poodles scored high marks with the two of us. Hooray for second Thanksgivings. I'm sure it'll be special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ernie--I'm glad to welcome Mini as a fan LOL. Thanks for enjoying my work here. As you know, we write to be read and appreciated.

      And if we can make people laugh with us, so much the better!

      Delete
  8. Well, it sounds like you have TWO thanksgivings to enjoy this year, so Cheers to that.

    Nance, I've never heard of this dog, but omg, is he lovely? I think we gotta start putting this breed OUT THERE for the universe to hear and see, so next year they might be in the running.

    Somehow we missed both the parade and the dog show--what a complete muck of a holiday. (just kidding-it was lovely)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BB Suz--The Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever has had my heart for years and years. It is such a gorgeous dog, and its face is so expressive. Why aren't more people going gaga over this breed? I mean, what's not to love?

      Delete

Oh, thank you for joining the fray!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...