Saturday, November 21, 2020

November Challenge Post #21: The Best Thing That Happened This Year

Let's stipulate for the record that 2020 has been a Dumpster Fire, a Hellscape, a Trainwreck, and a Shit Show. I know that every single time I said, "How could this year get any worse/more stupid/any more ridiculous/more outrageous?", it went ahead and did just that. It did it so often, in fact, that I stopped saying those things and merely thought them in my own private head, sure that I was somehow jinxing everything and causing all the horrid stuff myself. The 2020 Tsunami Of Crap kept rolling over us, and because I couldn't stop myself from thinking, for goodness' sake, I decided to stop being so superstitious and realize that it wasn't my fault at all, it was entirely the fault of the republicans, and I had to just ride it out and hope for Joe Biden.

But I digress.

Despite all the Terrible, No-Good, Very Bad Stuff this year, I did have something good happen this year. But first, let's list 

The Things That Did Not Happen To Me This Year

1. I did not fall down.

2. Rick did not have surgery.

YAY! Let's hope we keep this streak going.

Okay. I digressed again. Back to the 

Best Thing That Happened To Me This Year.

Here it is:  My oldest son Jared moved out of his apartment on March 1st. 

I know. On its own, it isn't wonderful, but it brought about a cascade of joy for me. Let me explain.

Jared moved out in order to move in with his girlfriend Lauren, who he'd been dating for about a year and a half or so. He also moved in with her three children from a previous marriage, who had been calling him Dad for a while. We had already met Lauren and loved her. In short order we met and spent time with the kids, then ages 17, 15, and 5, having them at our house last Christmas (and of course at the lake during the summer). And we loved them immediately. We told Jared and Lauren that it was up to the kids as to when they were comfortable calling us Grandpa and Nana (the names we chose because it's nicely close to Nance, and they already have a Grandma and Papa). 

It wasn't long at all before we were visiting at their house and the youngest, Violet, leaned in close to Lauren and said, "I feel comfortable now." Her mother said, "That's fine. Go ahead." We became Nana and Grandpa from that time on. I'm even Nana in Ella's and Jagger's phones, so I know it's for real. So, I got three grandchildren in 2020! 

The second joyful thing that happened when Jared moved is that custody of Zydrunas transferred to Sam. Z is a large, exuberant dog. Here he is, for those of you who haven't seen him:

Living with Jared in an apartment was not the best place for him. And as Jared's social life bumped up against Zydrunas's needs, it became a tough spot. Now Z lives three doors down from Rick and me and has a nice yard. He goes to dog school for training, and Sam is very consistent with commands and his routines. Z now has lots of people friends, so he's becoming more socialized. And Sam is more laid-back in general, which is to Zydrunas's benefit. Sam's girlfriend Emily is in love with Z (so is Lauren), and was generous and excited to welcome him to their home. So my grand-dog is much happier and lives right down the street, and that makes everyone happy, too!  

In spite of 2020 being a shitful year overall, we can certainly find some joy and bright spots in it. I know you can find some, too. Share them with us in Comments. 

post header image

27 comments:

  1. I'm kind of hoping the best thing hasn't happened yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yahoonski--That could very well be true. We have a bit of time yet.

      Delete
  2. What a good idea. It’s what I must do to overcome a long spell of deep misery.
    Like you said 2020 is/has been desperately annoying, infuriating, depressing, heartbreaking, and it’s still going on, so the best thing I could do is concentrate on the brighter side of life. (has there been one?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Friko--I'm terribly sorry that you've been up against it for so long and cannot find any bright spot. Is your lovely garden not even providing a bright spot?

      Delete
  3. THe best thing that happened this year: Friends have stood by me, as my husband has, while i process my fathers actions before he died. THeir support is so important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kathy b--This is huge. I know how hard this has been for you. I wish you hope and continued strength on your journey. xo

      Delete
  4. Oh, what wonderful, happy news on both 'Jared' and 'Zydrunas' fronts!! Heaven knows, we all need some GOOD NEWS in this catastrophic year.

    I have not personally had anything good happen that I consider to be 'newsworthy' so I will just say that, in spite of 45's recent post-election shit show, that I am still eternally grateful that the majority of this country made the right choice.

    Beyond that, I am very, very grateful that no one in my family has gotten COVID so far. Given the recent horrific surge in cases, I am crossing my fingers and toes that we all stay safe. My entire family is having 'one household only' Thanksgiving and Christmas celebrations to make sure that next year, hopefully, we CAN get together. I worry especially about one of my nieces who is an ICU nurse in Houston and has a young 12-year-old son. Her ex-husband, who is a total dick, has insisted on his son being able to participate in his baseball team which takes zero precautions with masks, etc. I worry, but so far, so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ortizzle--Thank you, dearest friend. My heart is so full, and while I miss seeing my grandkids now except via technology and socially distant, I know it's not forever. And I see Z all the time. He's a changed dog.

      My family are all COVID-free as well, and I'm so glad yours is too. Our county is surging; we all know of at least one person who has it or has had it. Your niece's ex is, unfortunately, represented in every family, as you know. It's disappointing and astonishing. We, as intelligent and empathetic persons, simply don't have the capacity to enter their thinking.

      Thank goodness.

      Rick and I are having a solo Thanksgiving this year as well, which is disappointing on the heels of a solo one last year as well, since we were both broken. He had just had shoulder surgery, and I had suffered that terrible fall. But we know it's not forever. Next year, we'll have a bigass Thanksgiving with everyone, and it may well take all damn day.

      Delete
  5. Getting three grandchildren and an adorable Z for a neighbor were most definitely really great things to happen! Not falling and Rick not having surgery are fantastic things too. This year being a shit show is putting it mildly. The best things for me this year were finding out Missy had been grossly misdiagnosed and didn't have a brain tumor after all, and Joe Biden winning the election. The things that didn't happen are some of my best things too, my family has stayed healthy and virus free. I hope and pray it stays that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha--Thank you for sharing my joy! I appreciate it.

      I was so happy for you about your dear girl Missy. What a rollercoaster for you! Our pets are precious members of our family, and our emotions are closely tied to them.

      My family have been healthy and virus-free too, despite our county dangerously surging. I share your hope for continued shelter from COVID.

      Delete
  6. This is all really really wonderful! I think it's always good to remember that there can be good things, even if he frame of the year is a bad one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bridget--Oh, thank you, Bridget. And that's a good point. The larger picture of 2020 is horrid, but within it, there are individual snapshots of day-to-day joys, however small.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on the 3 grandchildren .............that most DEFINITELY makes the year a winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dee--Thank you for sharing my happiness. I know this was a very hard year for you and Steve. I hope you did find some joy here and there despite the tough times.

      Delete
  8. It is splendid that things were good on the home front, for sure. I would have to list making a new good friend as the best of this year. Or rather, realizing that my do things with friend was much more as the meeting restrictions forced us to make choices and we chose each other.
    Not well expressed. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary--Thank you. I'm so glad you made a good friend this year, no matter how it happened. And I'm glad that you're making your pleasure your priority.

      Delete
  9. Oh that's just fabulous! I'm so happy for you! I think that personally the best thing that has happened to me this year is... thinking... hmmm... the only thing I can think of is that Mike & I figured out our Enneagram number (he's a 4 and I'm a 9) and that has helped our marriage SO MUCH! After 30 years of marriage I figured out that his drama isn't directed at me, and he figured out that my checking out isn't because I don't care about him and what he's doing. And we're both working on our more negative traits now that we can see the motivation behind them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bug--Thank you for being happy for me. It means a lot.

      I think communication is so vital for any success in relationships. Any way that you accomplish that is worth celebrating. Being willing to work on your marriage is a huge plus. Congratulations!

      Delete
  10. You have two great things to be joyful about in 2020.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean--Thanks, I think so too.

      Delete
  11. Wow, three grandkids AND Z moving so close? YAY!

    This has been a stressful year in so many ways, but it has not been difficult for us outside of that general stress. I will fold my trip to DC last November, and say it was a good year because 1. I got to go to DC with my stepmom, my sister, and my niece and nephew. I met up with my BFF there, and we had a splendid time. 2. Our other sister is cancer free (still). THAT IS HUGE. I haven’t been able to see her and give her a hug, which is not good, but at least I can talk to her. 3. A trip to Los Angeles in February was fabulous fun with my same BFF. 4. COVID has sent Ted home to work, and it’s nice having him here. Also nice that he is saving so much money on gas, wear and tear, and bridge toll. 5. Maya got a new job, which she cannot do from home, but it is closer and only one BART stop from our house, so that is a good thing. 6. We’re all healthy, thank goodness. Hoping we can stay that way until we can all get a safe, effective vaccine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. - I love Z’s smile for the camera! He’s so photogenic!

      Delete
    2. J--Thanks for sharing my joy. Now it's my turn, yay!

      Your sister's status as Cancer-Free is huge. That is a rare gift, and especially in a year like 2020; it deserves its own celebration. Or two.

      And two meet-ups with your dear friend and compatriot from what may seem like a whole other life at times! I miss driving off to Maryland to visit my friend once or twice a year. It's always great fun and so cozy to spend time with someone who has a shared history.

      I love how you celebrate your closeness with family. (Even though they make you work so hard at preparing dinner for them. LOL) So glad you've stayed healthy during this stressful time, as we have thus far.

      Z is a smiley dog. He is happy, for sure.

      Delete
  12. Nance, your happy news brought tears to my eyes!! This makes my heart fill up with joy; grandchildren and a happy dog. win/win! Z is SUCH a cutie pie!

    I've had a lot of joy this year, which for me isn't unusual, even in my darkest times I always find joy.
    We're planning a wedding and we have a beautiful vacation home. There's more I'm sure, but those are my two biggest smile makers this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suz--Thank you for recognizing my happinesses. They truly are wins. And I'm glad it's not just me who thinks Zydrunas is adorable.

      A wedding is such proof of hope and love. That's an abundance of joy right there. And I know you'll enjoy having a vacation home. It will feel always like a getaway from Real Life, and an affirmation of not only your hard work but your good fortune. Congratulations on both of these happy things in your life!

      Delete
  13. Congrats! Sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joared--Thank you; it has been, truly.

      Delete

Oh, thank you for joining the fray!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...