Saturday, July 03, 2021

K Is For Knee

Right around 1996 or so, I had to get knee surgery. My right kneecap had begun to slip out of place and wander back and forth, causing not only some pretty awful pain and noise in my knee, but some damage as well as it tried to form a new pathway each time it moved.

The orthopedic surgeon had to do a TTT surgery, a tibial tubercle transfer, which basically was to cut a piece of my tibia to which the kneecap tendon was attached, and relocate it, using a titanium screw and collar. As a result, I have a bump below the skin of that knee, and you can easily feel the screw and collar, which are about a quarter inch total width, and they stick up noticeably about the same height, kind of like a prominent spider bite.

The orthopedic surgeon once offered to "slice that open and back the screw out with a drill, no problem, under a local," but I declined. He assured me that the bone, now healed, would quickly grow to fill the cavity left by the missing screw and present no immediate danger. I think I recall saying, "Do I look crazy to you?" and that was the end of it.

Every so often, the presence of a titanium screw in my leg would arise during my time in the classroom. When one teaches English, one teaches Life. There is no end to the topics of discussion that would arise during the teaching of novels, plays, poetry, and even grammar. As one of my students once said, "Mrs. D., you have to know everything to teach English, don't you?"

Anyway, at one point, I was asked how I got the titanium screw in my leg. I merely replied that it was an old hockey injury and moved on. The students all exchanged surprised (and some incredulous, some impressed) glances, but did move on. For a minute or two. Soon, a brave soul asked, "Mrs. D, when did you play hockey? What position did you play?"

"I thought we were moving on," I said. "I played a long time ago. I don't anymore. And I played goalie. And now, we are moving on."

It only takes one class period for word to travel in the halls of a high school before cell phones were in common usage. The very next period, I could see students looking at my legs. To their credit, no one asked me about my hockey injury, but to be fair, they were honors kids and not the type. But by the time my junior regulars arrived, they came in the door with the story and all their questions:

"Ms. D! Lemme see that hockey injury!"

"Ms. D., how much time you spend in the penalty box?"

"Ms. D., ain't no way you played no goalie."

"If you got titanium in there, you could probably hock it, right?"

The best thing about the whole Hockey Goalie Story was that it persisted and took on a life of its own. By the time my own sons attended high school there in 1999-2006, they were confronted with it as well, and asked by total strangers over and over again if their mother did indeed get hurt playing hockey and was her position truly goalie. My kids of course played along.

Here's the most confounding thing about the whole hockey injury story:  as a goalie, I would have worn a ton of protection, especially around my legs. Even back in high school--the late 1970s--there would have been decent protection, and the leagues wouldn't have been coed. It's not like they could have thought I was in a professional or college league, could they? Did they think I got hit with a high-speed puck? Did they think I was in a brawl? With teenage brains, who knows what they thought. It's hilarious.

And here's another thing:  whenever a student had a visible injury or a cast or something, I always said, "Oh, no! I hope that doesn't hurt right now. Do you mind telling me what happened?" Sometimes the story would be that they shut the car door on their hand, or that they had to wear a sling during a bursitis flare-up, or that they sprained their wrist at tennis practice. After hearing those explanations, I'd say, "No. That's a terrible story. No one wants to hear that. Tell people that you fell during your first wing-walking class. Or tell them that you were climbing a tree to save a cat. Or say that you were going for the Guinness World's Record in paddle ball. Always make up a good story."

They never caught on; I practically told them I was lying all the time.


image


40 comments:

  1. Did you teach creative writing too? Some great tales of fiction here!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anni--Yes, I did teach creative writing as well. Another clue!

      Delete
  2. OMG, Nance, this is so, so funny! Truly hilarious! You lying just didn't jive with your ethics otherwise, even if you did give your students clues to your truth when they had their own accidents.

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shirley--I guess that could be a reason they didn't pick up on it; I was always a source of Truth for them in everything else. It was always so odd, the stuff they assumed about me overall. They had a hard time believing, for example, that I had ever gone swimming in a lake. And they were convinced that I was not from the same area, based solely on "the way I talked." So goofy.

      Delete
  3. I love this so much. I had a knee replaced a few years back and I wish someone would ask me why I had to get a new knee so I could use your story. (I am a hockey fan too.) Alas, at my age it seems perfectly normal to have a new knee and no one will ever ask.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kayT--And here's the thing--I am not a hockey fan. I know zero about the game. I'd really have been in trouble if any of the kids had tried to discuss hockey with me, ever. I pulled that completely out of thin air.

      As far as waiting for someone to ask you, don't! Find a way to weave it into an already existing conversation. You must hang out with far different people than I do because almost everyone I know says something about an ache, pain, surgery, or the weather. All of those are great entrees to you being able to say, "Oh, yes. Before my hockey injury got me this nice new knee, I could always tell when it was going to rain," or "I can sympathize. When my hockey injury forced this knee replacement, I was on crutches for weeks." Trust me, you can do this!

      Delete
  4. You must have been the most amazing teacher, I can see why all your kids just loved you so much. Great story. I injured my wrist knitting too much and had to wear a splint for weeks, my oldest son was sooooooo embarrassed! Injured from knitting, come on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meredith--Thank you. I loved teaching; it was the fulfillment of a childhood dream for me.

      LOL on your knitting injury causing your son some embarrassment. Think of all the more exciting things he could have thought up instead! Alas, too late for him now.

      Delete
  5. Hi...just read your comment a Nance's blog...son embarrassed with your knitting injury!? I literally giggled out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could TOTALLY see you as a hockey goalie!!!

    But, what really made me laugh is ...............you could HOCK YOUR KNEE!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dee--I can't even ice skate. I tried once and it was impossible.

      That comment from that kid was ridiculous. First of all, I think he was confusing titanium with platinum. He was obsessed with jewelry and wore a ton of fake gold which he tried desperately to pass off as real. And yes, did he think I would be able to just walk into a pawn shop and detach my knee? Have them take the screw out? Or what? I didn't even know.

      Delete
  7. This is so funny Nance! I must remember this for future reference as things start wearing out, I will make up great stories about things that happened instead of admitting to old age. I may consult you for assistance if that would be ok lol. Your stories always make me miss working with the high school kids so much. I hope you are having a fantastic weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha--I highly recommend it. Even if you get called out on it, you can simply say with a smile, "Well, I tried!" or "But what if I did!?" It's so much better and way more fun. Please do feel welcome to consult me anytime. I'm free!

      I miss working with the high school kids, too, sometimes. They kept me refreshed and in touch with the youthful perspective and language. It's important to stay connected with the younger generation, I think.

      Happy Independence Day!

      Delete
  8. I love this post! I was smiling the whole time I was reading it and for a while I even believed you really did play hockey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean--Thank you! I can't believe you fell for it.

      Delete
  9. You might as well make up a story because what people don't know, they'll make up anyway!! I wish my knees felt as young as some of my other parts & I don't have any good hockey stories to tell about them. But there are a few skiing stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mona--Good point. I'm often surprised by the stuff I hear from people--especially former students--about former colleagues. The rumours are terrible.

      I hear you about some body parts really feeling aged. There are days that my back and my shoulders feel about 80. I like that you have some skiing stories to explain your aches and pains, and I urge you to haul them out and embroider them at will. Everyone likes a good story.

      Delete
  10. Great story! You had me going for a moment. Now I am wondering if you even have a screw in your knee. Maybe the whole post is "creative writing"! Hhmmm...???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellen D--Oh, I do have a screw in my knee. Well, a couple inches below it in my tibia, actually. I merely have bad knees. My right knee deteriorated faster and required the surgery. Luckily, once it was fixed, it helped my left knee enough that it didn't require the same surgery.

      I do have one post in my archive that was entirely a lie. That was a good one.

      Delete
  11. Hmmm. Maybe your injury was in a street hockey game, which would explain the lack of padding and the coed part as well. Hilarious that they believed you, but then again, why not? Strange things happen in this world, stranger than a female teacher with a hockey injury. Interesting that your doctor suggested removing it, and I loved your reply. I’m not sure what I would do…I mean, the idea of having my knee cut open, and the drill, ugh. But then again, vanity… I mean, now that I’m old and invisible, who cares. But there was a time when I would have cared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J--True. It could have been street hockey, and I didn't bother to specify. And those pucks are evil things. My kids played street hockey briefly, so I know they didn't use safety equipment during their pickup games.

      And yes, strange things happen in our world every single day. There's no telling what my students have seen and experienced. A little woman with a hockey injury is but a blip on their vast radar.

      My orthopedic surgeon offered to remove it precisely due to my vanity. I asked about it because I was irritated by its presence and it makes it awfully difficult to shave my legs without constantly nicking it. That's when he gave me the choice to remove it. I was scared it would leave me with a weakened bone there, a hole that would possibly be a stress point. That fear, and the fear of the bone pain itself during the procedure and after made me decline.

      Like you, I care a whole lot less about such things than I did when I was thirty, forty, and even fifty. At 62 now I find that, like you, I'm more invisible. Except maybe at the grocery store. Those old guys still find me fascinating.

      Delete
  12. Oh, tsk!! How dreadful. (Yeah, laughing a lot. I have done this.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary--I'm a terrible person, I know. But one does need a little wicked fun now and then.

      Delete
  13. Although my bad knee (total replacement) was in part caused by basketball.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary--I heard! It was awesome that Canada tried to field a senior WNBA team! I know you'd have made it, too, if you hadn't had that terrible injury during your training for tryouts. Who'd have guessed that your community centre would have mistaken orange oil for floor wax?

      Delete
    2. 😍🏀🏆 Oh yeah.

      Delete
  14. I love this story, and that your sons heard about when they got to school.

    My mother worked at the college where I went to school. Their office had a lot of student workers, and my mother used to tell them that she and my father met when she was a nun and he was a priest, and they left to get married. After a while when I was asked about it, I'd just shrug and say, "Yeah, that's true." ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bridget--And it's not the only story my sons had to vouch for. In my defense, I was not always the source of some of the stuff that was believed of me. High school rumours...!

      I love the story about your mom and dad being former Members Of The Cloth. Not only does it contain wonderful elements of romance and forbidden love, it's got the edge of scandal and shock value. Perfect!

      Delete
  15. That's hilarious! And now I can see that I totally should have come up with a better story for my shoulder surgery (instead of the truth - I tore my labrum toting a baby in a baby carrier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bug--Heavens yes. At least add the element of danger, like you had to pull the baby carrier out of a burning car or the rubble of a collapsed building.

      At any rate, that must have been a hefty baby!

      Delete
  16. Funny, funny. The lifespan of a good tale is forever. It's a hoot that your sons heard the story years later. A nun friend of mine used to suggest that things like this weren't lying, you were merely being mischievous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ally Bean--It is true that a good story is like classic literature--it withstands the test of time.

      I do like to think that this was not Lying in the strictest sense in that I wasn't covering up a bad deed. I was being mischievous--and I was making life a little more fun and interesting. For everyone!

      Delete
  17. OH NANCE, THE power of a great story is a grand thing. What a funny post. I am sure you were a fun teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kathy b--I tried to have some fun in my classes whenever possible. My students provided me with lots of stories, both good and bad. Teaching is a very human career, so anything can happen any day. I'm glad you enjoyed this post!

      Delete
  18. Ha-ha! Great story! — I would love to have seen you telling that so matter-of-factly. And it’s amazing how fast ‘teacher gossip’ gets around. Since students are going to spread the word, you might as well make it as exotic as possible. I have always been afraid of embellishing to the degree that I would be put on the spot and have to supply details that I had no idea about. Never occurred to me that I could just ‘move on’ and let them wonder, lol. The flip side to this, of course, is how a story takes on a life of its own as the gossip spreads. The less they know, the more they fill in the blanks with their imagination. It was probably a tall tale of epic proportions by the end of that day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ortizzle--Thank you. I rarely supplied any details about my private life for my students. Not only was I intent upon keeping my privacy as much as I could, but I was also of the School Of Thought that the fewer details I provided, the fewer I had to keep straight. I also became then a Woman Of Mystery to them, which intrigued them to no end.

      Imagine, privacy! What a novel concept.

      Delete
  19. I LOVE this story and how it grew and grew. Of course, I don't love that you had to have a surgery to begin with, but you know, life just like English class happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BB Suz--LOL! Yes, Life and English Class are both like that.

      Despite having the worst grading load of all the disciplines always, I was happy with my chosen career. Teaching English really was like teaching Life. I loved that part of it, truly.

      Delete
  20. Great story to teach them to create "stories".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joared--It wasn't my main intent, but thanks!

      Delete

Oh, thank you for joining the fray!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...