It has taken me some time to revisit this saga that spanned six years and started in 2009. Very few of my Original Readers remain, so this series of five posts, Watching and Thinking About Blueberries, is unknown to most of you. I feel I need to write this chapter because the circle has closed so beautifully and joyfully; it reinforces my belief that There Is No Such Thing As Coincidence.
The Blueberries posts began almost seventeen years ago exactly with this chapter (that I hope you'll read, as well as the others to follow). When Rick and I first moved into this house 41 years ago, we discovered that his kindergarten teacher, Tish, lived right across the street. Tish and her husband Barrington Cash (apt aliases), were jetsetters in their golden years. She welcomed us with two pints of fresh blueberries, making it clear that she was not a baker, but hoped I was and would enjoy her gift. Years later, her husband died from a heart attack, and I anxiously watched as Tish's life changed.
Four years later, her huge silver Buick was no longer pulling in and out of her driveway, and a sense of foreboding gripped me. In Chapter Two, I couldn't bear the unknown anymore, and when an opportunity afforded me the chance to get answers, I took it. Unfortunately, my initiative didn't help me as much as I hoped. I learned only that Tish was still alive, and that her son was in charge of her affairs. That knowledge didn't do much to assuage my concerns, especially when a moving van arrived and I watched as all of her things came out the front door.
In 2014 I got more answers, but they were not what I hoped for. Chapter Three takes place in 2014 as I watched the slow and painful death of her redbud tree, seeing it as a symbol for Tish herself. My heart broke when I saw the city had marked it for removal, and even more pieces of me crumbled as I discovered why we hadn't seen Tish in so long. Even though I had long ago learned--and many times over-- that Life Isn't Fair, I railed against her circumstances.
At a Christmas party one evening in 2015, the Universe gave me a dinner companion who was able to tell me news about Tish. This woman wasn't even supposed to be there, but I was so glad that she was. In Chapter Four this kind lady told me that my former neighbour was happy and well, and I was so grateful, both for the knowledge and for Tish's circumstances.
It wasn't even a year later, however, that I was writing a far less happy installment in this saga. Chapter Five found me mourning the loss of our onetime neighbour and the woman for whom I felt...so much and for no tangible, comprehensible reason. I wondered so often about who would move into that house across the street--her house--and what the house would be like, alive again.
After a time, not so very long it seems now, I found out. Tish's house is very much alive these days, and when I look across the street, it's easy for me to see through her eyes, to see what she must have observed many times herself when looking out her front windows across to my own house over the years, more than 40 years ago.
A young couple, Anne and Charlie, live there now. They arrived several years ago after a series of renters and set up house with their infant son Oliver. The front yard was made into an ever-burgeoning garden on either side of their front walk. Incredibly, a mainstay of this garden has been yellow marigolds and bright golden mums. At first we all simply waved at each other and called Hello and Good Morning. Soon, however, Anne and I exchanged phone numbers, and I looked after her garden while they went on vacation. A few years later a second son, Archie, joined the family. Anne's boys are three years apart, as mine are. We share our culinary talents with one another: I keep her supplied with pesto and pickles and toffee; she is a fantastic baker whose sourdough rolls are, quite simply, heaven. She works as a youth mental health counselor, and I am the retired teacher her boys call Miss Nance. Their lives are busy and boisterous, and I love watching Ollie and Archie as they've learned to ride bikes, chase one another, and take walks with their mother and father, first in a wagon and now on their own two feet. When our next-door neighbour was having a cement driveway put in, I invited them to watch it all from our front porch. At Halloween, I prepare a special trick-or-treat bag just for them. If packages arrive on my porch while we're away, Anne or Charlie makes sure they are stowed safely. Anne sends me videos of the boys, and we exchange texts often. We are both grateful that we are neighbours, and we say so often to one another.
History repeats itself, and the Past harmonizes. Many have philosophized about this occurrence, this cyclical nature of human existence. Some would say that History rhymes rather than repeats, that by its very nature, Life is a series of recurring patterns. Much of this depends upon noticing these patterns, of course. In my case it is an easy task; all I have to do is look right across the street. And each time I do, it's like looking into a magical mirror, one that reflects both my Past and their Present. The Universe is a wide and wonderful thing, and I take the time to notice.

Oh my goodness, I am wiping away tears as I try to type this comment. Thank you for being a kind person and for sharing this lovely story. The universe acknowleges it♥
ReplyDeletesusan q--I am so deeply moved by your comment; thank you so much.
DeleteMy personal motto for many, many years now has been "Kindness is my default." I strive for it every single day, and that you mentioned my kindness here is very validating for me. That my writing evoked such emotion is profoundly satisfying to me. Good writing is also something I strive for.
I'm glad you read me, and thank you for commenting.
I went back and read all the previous posts. It’s funny how we can grow attached to certain people even though we are not part of their day-to-day life necessarily. We had our block party last night. Some of the residents have lived in their home for 30-40 years so they have seen so much change. Even though who’ve been here for less time, like 10-20 years have witnessed a lot of change. There are people at the party that I only talk to on the block party night. Since we have young kids, we spend a lot of time walking back and forth along the block, especially when they are learning to ride a bike or when scooting. So some of the older folks have gotten to know our children through those encounters in the spring/summer/fall and feel a sort of kinship with our kids even though they don’t really know us all that well.
ReplyDeleteI love that the Cashs’ house is occupied by a wonderful family that you’ve gotten to know!
Lisa--Thank you for taking the time to read all the chapters. That means so much to me, knowing how busy your life is always. I am so grateful.
DeleteYou bring up a very good point about the nature of relationships: we do get accustomed to and feel connection to many people who are merely satellites in our orbit. It's a beneficial aspect of being human beings--we do want connection.
And neighbourhoods are such an interesting microcosm of society, aren't they? I mean, we live among these people, yet we don't really get to know them unless something happens that brings us all together, whether it's crisis or pleasure.
I couldn't be happier with the family across the street. It's so much fun to watch the boys as they grow up. Oliver started kindergarten this year! As far as I know, he loves it.
Oh, Nance. This is such a sweet and heart wrenching account of loving a neighbor from a distance, while loving her and being concerned for her well being and happiness. I've only gotten through the first 2 chapters, but I'm hosting the whole fam (minus college kids) tonight and the kitchen is calling. (my dumb blog feed isn't updating and I just happened to click here to see if you had a new post).
ReplyDeleteWe became quiet close with the elderly couple who lived across the street from us at our first house. They became like an additional set of grandparents for our kids. Lad used to call across the street as a 3 or 4 year old, HEY MR. KORNECK. It reminded me of Dennis the Menace, and I loved how he called both the husband and the wife Mr. Korneck. They were wonderful to us and it broke my heart to tell them that we were moving across town. We stayed in touch and had them here for dinner, etc. They used to say how much we reminded them of themselves. They raised four boys in the house - all of whom had their own families. We were often included in their backyard family barbeques. After we moved away, we brought the kids over before Christmas and we'd surprise them and sing Christmas carols when they opened the door and deliver them a loaf of pumpkin bread. She told me when Curly was born that all my friend hated me. I was SHOCKED. She said, any woman who has a 6th kid on the 19th of Dec and manages to get birth announcement Christmas cards delivered on Christmas Eve is the envy of every one of her friends. Bah ha ha. They were the best. xo
Ernie--I'm deeply flattered and grateful to know you're reading my past chapters. You are a very busy lady ALL THE TIME, so your kind attention means a great deal to me.
DeleteHow wonderful that you stayed in touch with your former neighbours. I'm absolutely positive that your family provided so much entertainment and enjoyment for them. Six kids will always be a great show, no matter what's going on. And how funny that your son called them both Mr.! It's kid stuff like that that can make someone's day.
Listen, you continually put me to shame with all your activity AND trying to keep track of your kids, your own GF needs, and all your travelling. I honestly do NOT know how you do it!
Such a lovely update on the house across the street, Tish’s old house. I’m glad that it is now inhabited by a young family, and that you and Rick are now to them what she was to you. I enjoyed going back and revisiting the old posts as well.
ReplyDeleteWhen my uncle died in 2015, we learned that the couple across the street from my Grandma and Great Aunt had been looking out for them, and it was nice to know that there was someone they could quickly turn to if they couldn’t open a jar, or reach something high up, or whatever, since we live over an hour away. The husband would come and clear their gutters for free when he was doing his own. They were a really nice couple, and they came to my Great Aunt’s 100th birthday party, which was after she had moved to assisted living and was about 40 minutes away. Good neighbors are truly a gift.
We had some next door neighbors that I adored. The wife was pregnant with their first child when they moved in, and they moved away when she was about 8 or 9 and their younger child was 4 or 5. It was summer of 2020 and we couldn’t even visit and give them a hug, and I just cried. They had a dog, Willy, and we would look after him if they were away for the day, and they would do the same for Mulder. Willy didn’t like coming to our house, so looking after him meant giving him his dinner and letting him out to pee. Mulder loved going to their house, so they would bring him over for hours. He loved it. The girls loved Mulder, and made him a birthday card one year. I wish we still had it, I’m not sure where it went. The dog that lives there now hated Mulder. They would try to fight through the fence, and once when we were walking by their house the gate was open because they were bringing in groceries or something, and their dumb dog attacked Mulder! Thankfully he was so fluffy, he didn’t do much harm, and Mulder fought back, and it was over pretty quickly, but still. I missed Willy a lot that day. He didn’t love Mulder, he tolerated him, but still. They were the best neighbors we’ve had, and I still miss them.
J--You said it exactly: Good neighbours are truly a gift. We're very fortunate both at home and at the lake. Knowing someone is looking out for you means so much.
DeleteCovid really stole so many things from us all. I can only imagine how sad you and your kind neighbours were when they moved, not being able to give a heartfelt goodbye. That they were happy to watch Mulder and give him so much love really made it a special relationship. Kids and dogs--what a joy it is to see them together!
Thank you for taking the time to go back into the archives and reread the previous chapters. That means a lot, especially since you were here to read them all the first go-round. I'm constantly warmed by the thought that we've been together for So Long. That, my friend, truly is a gift.
Oh, I love that you are welcoming to new neighbors. I hope that our neighbors are around for a good, long time, but I also hope that I am as welcoming to newcomers as you are.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I hope Tish knew how loved and cared for she was. May we all have people who care as much as she did.
Engie--Thank you. A few neighbours around us are treasured, as yours are. It's so much easier to simply Live when people close by are congenial and kind. And tolerant (although we are probably the quietest people on this street)!
DeleteTish was very much a social person: she was a member of the local country club, played a lot of golf, and was always surrounded by friends. She was friendly and pleasant to the neighbours, but she did not seek friendship with any of them. She was a very busy grand dame.
What a beautiful saga you wrote about the house and its occupants. I was invested in each post. It saddened me that none of your neighbors knew what was going on when Tish left, but then I thought about my own current neighborhood, and we really only know a few of the neighbors. I think back to my childhood neighborhood, and we knew the first and last names of every single person on the street. My father probably knew all their occupations, too! It's sad that we've lost that sense of community.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing all these posts and making them easy to click.
Bijoux--Thank you for reading each of the chapters; that means a great deal to me. I feel strongly that Time is everyone's Precious Commodity, and that so many chose to read those archived posts makes me feel so valued.
DeleteLike you, I knew every single person on our street as I was growing up. Of course, it helped that I delivered the newspaper every day for years! Still, I heartily agree with you that people are less involved with their neighbours, rarely knowing their names or anything else about them. Life is so much more fast-paced, and people don't go outside nearly as often as we all did before. I get it, but it's sad, as you said.
I remember those posts. Impressed that you could find them and flag them. Most of my neighbours at present have fur and four feet; one of them is in the birdfeeder frustrating the blue jays. But ... back in the day I had wonderful neighbours who helped me with my babies and other things. They would not have fit into the bird feeder in any case. And the operative food was zuccini.
ReplyDeleteMy 'neighbourhood' here is much wider; but the people are wonderful friends and always helpful. We have an on-line neighbourhood here, too, or at least I feel that way. Comments instead of baking, but the spirit is the same.
Mary--You make a terrific point about our online neighbourhood. I know I greatly appreciate all of my readers and especially feel grateful for my Commenters here. Their support, observations, and general conversation make this spot a true pleasure and community.
DeleteDo you know, I have no one who wants to offload their zucchini around here? I am compelled to buy it at the little Amish farmstand near the lakehouse. I love the stuff, preferring to eat it as a veg rather than in a bread or muffin (although both of those have considerable charm).
Oh, this is so lovely, Nance. Good neighbors are such a gift.
ReplyDeleteI still think we fondness of our old neighborhood and our lovely neighbors. They were so kind to my daughter, welcoming her into their yards and trusting her with their dogs. We stay in touch with a couple of them, though our communications are fewer and further between.
suzanne--Thank you for the compliment on these posts. It means a great deal when my writing prompts such a response.
DeleteI completely understand about staying in touch with former neighbours. It's not easy when they're not so close by! Sometimes Just Being Neighbours can't be the basis for a long-term relationship. I'm reminded of that quote about some people being in your life for just a season or to teach you something. I think that can be true of former neighbours in the best way possible.
This is absolutely beautiful, Nance!
ReplyDeleteWe lived in my old neighbourhood for 23 years. When we moved in we were the young couple! Before we left, I walked by my neighbour down the street, Mr C. He told me how wonderful it was to see my boys grow up, and how special that was to him and Mrs C. I think so warmly about the lovely neighbours we had and that sense of community.
Nicole--Thank you for the kind compliment about my writing. For me, my writing is who I am; for that reason, it means a great deal.
DeleteWhat a nice compliment from your former neighbour! Our children are such a meaningful extension of ourselves, so those comments can be everything.
We were the youngest family on our street for years and years. Now, we are one of maybe three original homeowners! Like you, I think very fondly of some of our past neighbours.
Oh Nance, I loved this story so much. And then I went back and read the post about Tish, which made this one even more meaningful. All those years ago, you were the young family across the street, watching Tish and thinking about what it meant to grow older. And now there’s another young family in Tish’s house, and you’re the neighbor watching their little boys grow up. I love how life does that. 💜
ReplyDeleteKari--Exactly. And thank you for going back through my archived links to get the full picture of Tish and me. It means a great deal.
DeleteLife is at once a mystery and a circle--I think it all comes down to how much time you take to notice the parallels and appreciate them. You do that so very well yourself.
My friend. This was so beautiful and touching to read. I didn't mean to cry. Did you mean to make me cry? I'm kidding; I'm just a soft-hearted person, so it happens.
ReplyDeleteLife is full of patterns, full of moments that mirror the past.
Tish had her time in that house as your neighbor; you have time in your house as Ann's neighbor. I love everything about it, and it started with two pints of blueberries — talk about sweet!
BB Suz--Thank you for such kind comments regarding the chapters here. I think we all want to write to make readers feel something, to connect them even more to Humanity.
DeleteYes, life is rife with patterns and connections. It reminds me of the Walt Whitman poem line: "I am large, I contain multitudes." We are, each of us, the sum total of all who went before us.
93! May her memory be a blessing. I would have so been the person to have given you the blueberries and not the pie as well! Well, maybe I would have given you some muffins, but not a pie. Relationships with neighbors are so interesting, aren't they? We are so very connected to them by geography, and yet sometimes we literally know nothing at all about them despite them being merely yards away.
ReplyDeleteWe have been very lucky with our neighbors wherever we have lived. Our last house was on a cul de sac and we were good friends with almost everyone on the street who wanted to be, we even had a group chat! At this house, my Dad is my neighbor, we moved here so that we could help take care of him. Extra great is that we also are friends with the neighbors across the street, a young family, the father of whom emigrated from Lebanon not too long ago and they are the kindest, sweetest people you would ever want to meet.
Gina--I think of Tish fondly, always. And yes, you make such a good point here about how we can live so closely with people, yet we can still be just polite strangers. I feel that way about several of our neighbours here.
DeleteHow very kind and generous of you to relocate so as to help with your father's needs. That can often be a burden, no matter how much love there is there.
This is so very beautiful. Of memory, of loss, of finding something so new. I look forward to all chapters, all new to me. I'm glad you have wonderful neighbors now. I treasure mine.
ReplyDeleteJeanie--I appreciate your compliment so much. Writing is a big deal to me. That you look forward to reading me is so gratifying.
DeleteI'm glad that you have such good neighbours. That is, indeed, a treasure.
This is so lovely. We had neighbors like this, but unfortunately they moved away. The new neighbors are ... interesting?
ReplyDeleteBridget--Thank you; that means a lot. It's always nervewracking to get new neighbours. Who knows if they'll be noisy, inconsiderate, or (hopefully) kind and pleasant. We've had them all here, and a couple right next door who we could barely tolerate. Thankfully, they moved after about 18 months.
DeleteI remember the blueberry stories! I'm so glad to read this installment & hear about the new rhyme in your neighborhood (apt for a retired English teacher). I like when you tell stories...
ReplyDeleteBug--You remembered the previous chapters! How flattering. Thank you for being a longtime Reader and Commenter here.
DeleteI'll remember that you like my stories and try to tell more of them here.
Wow, what a touching story! It is so interesting how life has its ebbs and flows and things start to come full circle again! I have not read the previous chapters yet, but will catch up soon! I am so glad that the new neighbors are good ones and that you have such a nice relationship with them now! I have had various relationships with my neighbors over the years and it is so priceless when you get a good one!
ReplyDeleteK--Thank you. And thanks for the intention of reading the previous posts. I think you'll be glad you did.
DeleteHaving good neighbours is such a bonus, isn't it? All it takes, honestly, is some Common Human Courtesy, but that can be too big an obstacle for some people.
Oh boy. I love how you ended this- "I take the time to notice." Yes, the universe is wide and wonderful- but it's noticing that makes the difference. So often we're sailing through life so fast, we don't see and appreciate these things.
ReplyDeleteSince I'm pretty new here, I don't know any of these stories- I'll have to go back and read them! But I like the present situation with the wonderful family and two young boys. Sounds like a lot of joy for both sides.
Jenny--Thank you. And how very true that Life seems to be an onrush of stuff constantly. It takes real discipline to give yourself the Time and Grace to step out of that flood and appreciate small moments of wonder and kindness.
DeleteI'm glad to know that you'll make time to read the previous chapters. I think you'll enjoy those, too.
Ah, I love the full circle nature of this story, seeing the way you've slowly spun into a different position on the circle. You wrote so movingly and compassionately about Tish and it's lovely to think that your warm memories of her have been sent out into the world to live on via your writing.
ReplyDeleteIn another 'full circle' moment, . as I read this post, I thought to myself, "I think I remember reading this when it was first posted." Went back to check and to re-read the whole story, and sure enough , I'd commented on Chapter 2 and several of the others over the years. I would estimate I discovered you sometime between Chapters 1 and 2, around 2010 or 2011...and here I am, back again for the final chapter. As I've just 're-found' your blog after years of wandering, it somehow seems very fitting that you should have written this chapter of the story not long after my return.
MsCaroline--Oh, this is lovely. I am so happy to have you back in Comments and reading me. That you remembered the earlier chapters is such a huge compliment. This all means the world to me.
DeleteThe synchronicity of your return and the Blueberries stories is absolutely wonderful to me in every sense of the word. I thank the Universe for that.
I really enjoyed this, Nance. What a heart-warming story about your neighbor Tish (I went back and read some of the previous posts!). Isn't it funny how we all have people in our lives, that we're not necessarily super-close to, but that live alongside us and make our own lives better? And how lovely that you have a new neighbor now and kind of see yourself as potentially the "Tish" in their lives. Live really comes full circle, doesn't it?
ReplyDeleteSan--Hello, and welcome to the Dept. I'm glad you enjoyed reading this saga; that means a lot.
DeleteYou're exactly right about the myriad people in our lives and how they affect us. With neighbours, it can be for good or ill, of course, but sometimes even maintaining a quiet presence can be a blessing.
I read them all...your words, "I am Tish" are still stuck in my throat, my eyes brimming. And this idea that history rhymes...let's just say I'll be pondering that every chance I get.
ReplyDeleteI read recently that when our parents are both gone, an entire storehouse of memories (about us) go with them. That notion felt true and too harsh...until I read your chapters...if we pay attention, even from afar, relatives or not, we can still be (invested) proxies, and in your case benevolent proxies. You are an astonishing writer. Thank you.
DB--Thank you so much for such a huge compliment. If only I had occasion to put Astonishing Writer on my resume. And to know that this/those posts connected with you to such an extent is a gift.
DeleteI'll quote again the Walt Whitman line from his opus "Song of Myself": I am large, I contain multitudes. While I, too, realize that so much leaves us when we lose a parent or loved one, I find the sentiment in this line quite comforting. We are the sum of everyone who came before us, and that can't be undone. Caring about such things, noticing and keeping them, not only makes us who we are, but it can shape who we can be. We both understand that, I think.
Ah, I missed this post, but am so glad I found it and all the bonus posts too...
ReplyDeleteSuch a sweep of personal history, Nance <3 Loved how quiet Rick was as a child and your quiet but affectionate relationship with Tish ( from when Jared was a baby!). I'm so happy for your Annie-Charlie-Oliver-Archie friendship now... how lovely for all of you! And dotted through with your kindnesses throughout--blueberry pies, memorial notes, marigolds, pesto, doing fun things with kids, toffee all of it!!
maya--Thank you for reading these chapters; I know your time is spoken for by so many and so many things. It means a great deal coming from a writer like you.
DeleteYou know, I didn't really think of the Blueberries story as a personal history, but of course it is. Our writing is always a reflection of our selves and the context of our lives at the time. Of course it is.
Yesterday, I was out in the front yard, and Oliver shouted across to me, "I only have this protein bar for breakfast today! We are almost late to school and I have to eat this in the car!" Annie was hurrying to lock the front door and gather up her things, reminding Ollie to hurry up and get in the car. I told Ollie, "What a good idea, to have a Car Breakfast! I'm sure it'll be great, and you'll get to school just in time." Annie turned around, gave me a flustered smile, and threw up her hands. "Been there myself lots of times!" I called over. "Have a great day!"
Not only don't I know how she does it, but I have NO IDEA how *I* did it. Women are superheroes.
I love this extra tidbit so much, Nance. Children deserve to experience the world as a kind and loving place, and how lucky for Oliver and Archie to have that from you. (And this in addition to your years as a teacher!)
ReplyDeleteYour comments always helped me reframe my reality in a nicer way, and I can imagine Oliver thinking of "CAR BREAKFAST" as an adventure now. Bet they add that it to their family-lect <3
maya--Thank you for this. Even though I've been retired for more than a dozen years now, being a Teacher is still a huge part of my identity. Kids absolutely do deserve a kind and gentle world. And they should feel as if they are a very important part of it.
DeleteI'm glad that I've been able to offer a little brighter perspective to you. It's so hard to see sometimes when we're right in the thick of tough times. I'm no Pollyanna by any means, but it took me far too long to realize that there are far fewer things worthy of our distress than we may recognize. xo