Sunday, August 30, 2026

The Dept. Of Nance Turns 21

 

image credit
 The Dept. of Nance is 21! My blog can legally drink, so grab yourself an Adult Beverage and let's celebrate.

When I first started writing here, I had no idea (or desire, really) that I'd last this long, offering my perspectives, opinions, thoughts, and glimpses into my life. In 2005 I was the mother of two sons, aged 17 and 20. I was teaching English and Creative Writing at our city's only public high school, which educated over 2000 students a year on a campus of an entire city block, comprising three buildings (one dating back to 1894). I saw an average of 120 students a day, and you can only imagine my nightly load of papers to grade. What on Earth was I thinking, starting a blog? Still, I maintained a publishing schedule of twice a week back then. Clearly, I was...younger? more energetic? striving to be heard? As many of my longtime readers know, I started writing mainly to take the advice I always gave to my Creative Writers:  Writers write; if you want to be known as a writer, start writing.

And I did--start writing, that is. Think of almost any topic, and I'm pretty sure you can find it in my archives here. At one point I had three blogs:  one written with my eldest son Jared, this one, and one that gained a lot of national attention after a syndicated columnist found it and interviewed me for an article that was later picked up by a lot of national newspapers. It was even featured on a segment of the Today Show, the TV Guide Hot List, and Conan O'Brien's late night show. Our local Cleveland Magazine interviewed me (twice!), and in one surreal moment, I was interviewed by producers for a possible guest spot on Jay Leno's Tonight Show (that fell through because he was replaced). Quite a heady time. 

These days, I am a different sort of blogger. Back then, I was more of a cultural commentator. I wrote a lot about politics, for instance. Can you imagine that I used to call George W. Bush The Angel of Death? Little did I know how tame he'd seem almost 20 years later. My disdain for republicans (nope; not gonna capitalize that, ever) was distinctly apparent, and that hasn't changed. Now, however, I don't write about The Politics. I feel a bit guilty about that because I pride myself on my Political Awareness and Political Activism. Things are so completely fucked up and horrible now, though, that I can't bring myself to inflict any more stress on my readers or myself. (I'm so sorry, my Canadian friends, and to my US readers, VOTE BLUE.)

Now my sons, Jared and Sam, are 41 and 38 respectively. (By the way, how did that happen?!) I have two adorable grandsons, Theo Davis and Griffin Leo, the latter appearing on the scene only three weeks ago. Jared left his position as COO of a multi-million dollar company to be a Stay At Home Dad. Sam bought a house almost a year ago, an old colonial of three floors and beautiful woodwork only five blocks away. Zydrunas, my exuberant granddog, is an old man now and barely listens to my commands anymore. Oh! I cannot neglect my grandcat, George, who rounds out Jared's family. He is beautiful and temperamental and, when he allows it, magnificently cuddly. 

Rick, who I've known now for an astonishing 49 years and have been married to for 45 of those, is now retired and a very proud grandfather. He's had to shoulder a lot more duties since my illness, but he does so uncomplainingly. We greatly enjoy spending time at the lakehouse and with family whenever possible. Years ago, he indulged me and goodnaturedly adopted Emily and Travis, our first two cats, and later, when I desperately missed having a pet, happily made room for Marlowe and Piper (even though they both vastly preferred me to him). We've been through a lot, and we are such a Good Team.

One of the things I love the most about writing here is our community. I've made so many friends via this blog. I've been fortunate enough to meet many of them. You are all very important to me, and I so appreciate your Comments here as well as our other communications. Even though I value and keep my privacy, I've opened my life up more and more, thanks to the kindness and support of this community. I am beyond grateful.

Thank you for a rewarding and fun 21 years.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh, thank you for joining the fray!