Sunday, August 30, 2026

The Dept. Of Nance Turns 21

 

image credit
 The Dept. of Nance is 21! My blog can legally drink, so grab yourself an Adult Beverage and let's celebrate.

When I first started writing here, I had no idea (or desire, really) that I'd last this long, offering my perspectives, opinions, thoughts, and glimpses into my life. In 2005 I was the mother of two sons, aged 17 and 20. I was teaching English and Creative Writing at our city's only public high school, which educated over 2000 students a year on a campus of an entire city block, comprising three buildings (one dating back to 1894). I saw an average of 120 students a day, and you can only imagine my nightly load of papers to grade. What on Earth was I thinking, starting a blog? Still, I maintained a publishing schedule of twice a week back then. Clearly, I was...younger? more energetic? striving to be heard? As many of my longtime readers know, I started writing mainly to take the advice I always gave to my Creative Writers:  Writers write; if you want to be known as a writer, start writing.

And I did--start writing, that is. Think of almost any topic, and I'm pretty sure you can find it in my archives here. At one point I had three blogs:  one written with my eldest son Jared, this one, and one that gained a lot of national attention after a syndicated columnist found it and interviewed me for an article that was later picked up by a lot of national newspapers. It was even featured on a segment of the Today Show, the TV Guide Hot List, and Conan O'Brien's late night show. Our local Cleveland Magazine interviewed me (twice!), and in one surreal moment, I was interviewed by producers for a possible guest spot on Jay Leno's Tonight Show (that fell through because he was replaced). Quite a heady time. 

These days, I am a different sort of blogger. Back then, I was more of a cultural commentator. I wrote a lot about politics, for instance. Can you imagine that I used to call George W. Bush The Angel of Death? Little did I know how tame he'd seem almost 20 years later. My disdain for republicans (nope; not gonna capitalize that, ever) was distinctly apparent, and that hasn't changed. Now, however, I don't write about The Politics. I feel a bit guilty about that because I pride myself on my Political Awareness and Political Activism. Things are so completely fucked up and horrible now, though, that I can't bring myself to inflict any more stress on my readers or myself. (I'm so sorry, my Canadian friends, and to my US readers, VOTE BLUE.)

Now my sons, Jared and Sam, are 41 and 38 respectively. (By the way, how did that happen?!) I have two adorable grandsons, Theo Davis and Griffin Leo, the latter appearing on the scene only three weeks ago. Jared left his position as COO of a multi-million dollar company to be a Stay At Home Dad. Sam bought a house almost a year ago, an old colonial of three floors and beautiful woodwork only five blocks away. Zydrunas, my exuberant granddog, is an old man now and barely listens to my commands anymore. Oh! I cannot neglect my grandcat, George, who rounds out Jared's family. He is beautiful and temperamental and, when he allows it, magnificently cuddly. 

Rick, who I've known now for an astonishing 49 years and have been married to for 45 of those, is now retired and a very proud grandfather. He's had to shoulder a lot more duties since my illness, but he does so uncomplainingly. We greatly enjoy spending time at the lakehouse and with family whenever possible. Years ago, he indulged me and goodnaturedly adopted Emily and Travis, our first two cats, and later, when I desperately missed having a pet, happily made room for Marlowe and Piper (even though they both vastly preferred me to him). We've been through a lot, and we are such a Good Team.

One of the things I love the most about writing here is our community. I've made so many friends via this blog. I've been fortunate enough to meet many of them. You are all very important to me, and I so appreciate your Comments here as well as our other communications. Even though I value and keep my privacy, I've opened my life up more and more, thanks to the kindness and support of this community. I am beyond grateful.

Thank you for a rewarding and fun 21 years.  

54 comments:

  1. Cheers to your 21st and to connecting with other writers all over the world. Mary Oliver said it best, "for poems are not words, after all, but fires for the cold, ropes let down to the lost, something as necessary as bread in the pockets of the hungry.” I like to think she was referring to any writing genre, including blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DB--Thank you. I agree with you that writing, whether poetry or prose, connects people in the best ways: over distances; across age, gender, and cultural lines; heart to heart. One of the hallmarks I was taught to look for when teaching literature of any kind was whether or not the students made a connection between it and their own lives/experiences in some way. Writing a blog does that as well as so much more. It helps the writer as well. I'm glad you're here.

      Delete
  2. Well, I am grateful we found each other! I'm so happy to know you, Nance. Since I'm "relatively" new here, I did not know you taught at the only public high school in your city (is it a small city? Only one seems light on the public schools, but then, I don't really know the US system). I wish we could sit and talk about To Kill a Mockingbird, or any other number of books, really.
    Also zomg congratulations on the new bebe!!!! Ahhhh! How exciting is that! I'm so happy for you and your family. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole--I'm happy to know you as well. You offer such meaningful and nurturing insights on your blog as well as humour and a strong perspective.

      My city has a rough population of 53,000. We used to have two high schools, but they merged in the mid-90s. A variety of reasons caused the closing of the smaller one, including money and enrollment. There is still a Catholic high school in town, enrollment averages about 535.

      I'd love to talk to you (and anyone!) about TKAM. I do very much miss talking about the books that I taught and love to this day. And thank you for sharing my joy about Griffin. That my son also has two boys is so poignant to me.

      Delete
  3. Congrats!! I used to write a lot more about politics, too. But right now I find myself wanting mostly to talk about my pets and books, so I lean into that. Denial is real, you know? This isn't about the State of the World, though. It's about a celebration! Woot! Time goes by and it's wonderful that you have all these changes and transitions captured here in this bloggity blog. What a great record and testament to being a writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Engie--Thank you. And I love that you talk about Hannah and Zelda and the wide range of books you devour (among other topics). We both have made a written record of our lives, and I think we can feel proud of that.

      Try not to think of your Politics Avoidance as denial. It's really thoughtful self-care, and we both deserve it.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations, Nance, on 21 years of being a blogger! I stumbled upon your blog fairly recently but noticed right away that your posts routinely continue into the comment section. I love the community there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fiona--Thank you, and thank you for mentioning my wonderful Commenters and their terrific sense of community. I've always said that my Commenters are the best, and we all value each other's responses and feelings. I miss some who have faded away, often to Instagram or facebook where I don't have a presence, but I seem to gather others in their place. I'm so happy you are one of them.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on 21 years of blogging! That’s wonderful, and I’m so happy that I found you! I enjoy your writing style and your thoughts and opinions about things. I hope you’ll keep writing for a long, long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MG--Thank you. I'm continually surprised (shocked, really) that I'm still here and writing. And that people show up to read and comment. There are no plans for me to stop writing anytime soon, although my posts are much less frequent. Your encouragement means a great deal, and I'm glad you're here.

      Delete
  6. Let's see if this works: 🎉🎉🎉(Ha! I've never tried to insert emojis in comments before - I hope I don't go hog wild.)

    Congratulations! Except for your illness, life seems pretty sweet right now. Although of course the illness adds a little (lot of?) bitter to the sweet. I do miss your ranting about The Politics, but I totally understand the need to not exert yourself in that way these days. Enjoy the grands and the lake and Rick - and, yes, Vote Blue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bug--You did it! Now to practicing Emoji Restraint. I don't use them on my laptop because it's just too worky for me. Retired, you know. LOL

      Thank you, and yes, I am very grateful for my life and family. Is living a little different now? Absolutely, but I'm learning more each day how to cope and manage.

      You know, sometimes *I* miss ranting about The Politics, but it's just not helpful. I get too fired up, and then...well, it's not good. But! Hell be damned sure I'll write about The Politics if the midterms look anything like those of 2006.

      Delete
  7. Happy 21st! I am so glad you decided to write, and publish on this blog, which I am super glad I found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CHC--Oh, thank you for such kind words. I'm super glad to be found!

      Delete
  8. Nance! Your blog can drink. Well done. I'd raise my glass to that. I'm at the airport with Mini and she's reading over my shoulder . . . and she is now obsessing and loving your Bri tie logging. She's dying. "Mom, this is sooo funny!" Ah, it seems that recent college grads aren't the only ones with cool, funny friends.

    Congrats on grandson #2. How wonderful. I so love reading your blog and I always perk up when there's a post written by Nance. I can only imagine how many lives you touched as an English teacher. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ernie!--I love that your daughter is appreciating The Tie Report after so many years. I had so much fun with that blog even though I had to write it every day (well, practically). I never imagined it would get so big, and it challenged me in all the best ways.

      Thank you so much for calling me cool and funny, too. SAME TO YOU.

      My time in the classroom is a shining light in my life, and so are the students I taught, many of whom I still keep in touch with. Since I started teaching at age 22--not much older than they were!--some have even become treasured friends as the years have gone by. Basically, they touched my life meaningfully as well.

      Thank you for sharing my happiness about Griffin and for your continued reading and commenting here. xo

      Delete
  9. Congratulations, Nance! I have had the pleasure of reading your blog since 2006 and have thoroughly enjoyed every minute of the journey: one that has evolved into a deep friendship, in spite of the fact that we have never met in person. So many wonderful memories: Having the honor of subbing one time for the Brian Williams Tie Report, the fun and funny times reading and commenting on "Stuff on Our List," the political commentary (when things were not as deeply depressing as they are now) + anything and everything about the trials, triumphs and tribulations of everyday life in your corner of NE Ohio. Proud to be a member of your fan club and here's to many more years of the Department of Nance! ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. - Congratulations on the birth of your new grandson Griffin Leo!

      Delete
    2. Ortizzle, my dear friend--We've been together for such a long time! I'm so honoured by your constancy and love. I'm chuckling at the memory of you subbing for me on The Report--I remember it well. You were great!

      We've been through it, haven't we? Aren't you ever tempted to restart your blog? I would love it. And I'd be its biggest fan. XOXO

      Delete
  10. Twenty-one years is such an achievement, and I love that you included the person you were when you started alongside the person you are now. The part about telling your Creative Writing students “writers write” and then actually committing to that twice a week really says so much about why the blog lasted. Your life has changed enormously too, from teaching 120 students a day and raising two sons to becoming a grandmother and watching your family grow, yet the writing stayed with you through all those seasons. I also loved the part about Rick and the 49 years you have known each other, especially calling yourselves a Good Team. After 21 years of blogging, it is clear this is more than a website you kept updating, it has become a record of your life and the friendships you made along the way. Here’s to many more years of writing and telling it like you see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melody J--You make such a great point about Writing being a mainstay in my changing life and a record of my days for the past 21 years. Writing is a skill that I both honour and value; it truly helps me make sense of it all. I also keep a daily/semi-daily journal and have for about 8 years. Reading and writing help us all to be more Human.

      Thank you for such kind words and for being here. I truly appreciate it.

      Delete
  11. Congratulations! I'm not religious or superstitious, but I still love a good dose of serendipity, and I'm so happy that - after weeks of ignoring all Things Online - I decided to check in to your blog again, just a day after this most portentous anniversary! I've been wracking my brains trying to remember when I first started following you, and it must have been sometime around 2006 or 2007 -certainly well before I started my own (far less consistent) attempts at blogging in April 2011, and I was a faithful follower and semi-regular commenter until sometime before the pandemic (we had 2 international moves between 2018-2019 so I was a bit scattered.) After a long hiatus, I tracked you down again and was so delighted to find you were still blogging - so many of my favourite bloggers have fallen by the wayside in the past 10 years. I do remember how much I always enjoyed your political commentary, but I am presently in a space where I can barely read any news content without experiencing an enormous wave of grief and despair, so I actually appreciate the chance to read some insightful, articulate, and incisive general Life Observations without a side of apocalyptic panic. I'm so sorry that a stupid illness has changed the landscape, and I am not in any way trying to dismiss what must be a source of ongoing physical and emotional distress, but I'm also impressed with the way you're figuring out how to coexist with it, and still finding so much to delight in - and share with us. I suspect the key to being content (I'm not even going to go as far as 'happy,' which is bandied about too much for my taste anyway) is figuring out how to still find joy even when reality insists on rearing its ugly head. And from where I'm sitting (In Europe, about to move to the Indian subcontinent, while my adult kids are in the US), so much of your life really seems enviable. Having your successful adult children not too far away, with (now 2!!!) delicious grandkids to enjoy, time to travel, read, tend a garden, and drink some good wine - all with a beloved longtime partner to enjoy it with? Good stuff, and I am really happy for you. Reading this post (Sort of your 'State of the Union' for your blog, I guess) made me think of the quote from 'Elizabeth and her German Garden' (Elizabeth von Arnim, 1898):

    “What a happy woman I am living in a garden, with books, babies, birds, and flowers, and plenty of leisure to enjoy them!" (not sure where you stand on birds, but with the addition of an occasional glass of good wine and some furry friends, it fits pretty well)

    Happy Blogaversary, and many, many more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms Caroline--You're back! I'm so happy to see you again, my worlds-away friend. The Indian Subcontinent--wow. I do hope you restart your blog so that I can read about your life there. I wish you could be nearer to your children, but perhaps some well-timed visits can bridge the divide.

      You're right about the way to find joy in the midst of frustration and pain. There are Many! You've named them rightly. I can still have my herb garden (albeit with help from Rick), glasses of good wine, books aplenty, and family close by. Your Elizabeth quote is absolutely spot on, and I have been a Bird Enthusiast since very early childhood. Between home and the lakehouse, I have amassed quite a collection of birds. And I still happily feed my bluejays on the front porch at home every single morning that we're there.

      That you find this blog as a pleasure in your life right now means the world to me. Keep in touch!

      Delete
  12. Happy 21st!!! Cheers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cheers to 21 years! I've always found that people who stick with things are my kind of people. I had no idea about your Brian Williams tie blog. That is amazing that it made national news and in today's world, it would be welcome news. And congratulations on your latest grandchild! They bring such joy!

    I started my blog in 2008 when my oldest was a senior in high school. I had been a part of a message board that went awry when one of its members was outed as having Munchausen's Syndrome. It was a whole thing and really turned me off from online friendships for a while. Another person on the board told me she was going to start a blog and I followed suit. It's weird to think about not having any commenters at first but still posting twice a week. I don't even know how I found my people back then and the majority are long gone from the blogging world. I'm glad to have found your blog through others and I hope you continue on this ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bijoux--Thank you, and thank you for appreciating my stick-to-it-iveness. I may go on hiatus once in a while, but I always find my way back here among My People.

      The Tie Report notoriety was such a wild ride! I kept it under wraps here and at The Report because I was still teaching and didn't want it leaking into my professional life. And yes, we need more fun and uplifting news these days instead of Fresh Hell every single moment.

      You've been around this part of the Interwebs about as long as I have, it seems. Like you, I can't really remember when readers found me and started leaving comments. I just know I'm ever grateful that they did (and still do). Thank you for being here.

      Delete
  14. Oh, Happy Anniversary to your blog! I’m so glad that you are here, and that you have continued when so many have fallen by the wayside from the before times. I don’t remember when we first started reading each other’s blogs, but I do know it was a LONG time ago, and for a while you were one of my only regular readers (because so many had quit). I’m glad you still post. And yeah, life changes a lot over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J--Thank you, my dear friend. I'm beyond grateful to have found you, and I always truly enjoy reading you. Your posts never fail to make me think about new things or broaden my perspective. That we've been together for SO LONG is a real comfort and joy in my life.

      We've outlasted a great many things, haven't we? And we both have wonderful partners to help us along the way.

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. Ellen--Thank you! It feels like a long, long time. I'm glad you're here.

      Delete
  16. Happy blog-anniversary! It really is something to be able to look back over such a solid chunk of your life. I hope you'll keep on doing it, in some form or other, so I can keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ccr--Isn't writing a blog such a valuable record of our lives? I know that when I browse my earlier posts, I'm often surprised by how much I have and haven't changed. And how much I've done, lived through, and the things I've been able to celebrate. Thank you for being here; it means a lot.

      Delete
  17. Well, congratulations! Even if you only ever wrote two sentences, it's an accompllshment. I for one, am glad I found you and that you are still here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bridget--Thank you. I'm smiling about your scenario in which I write just a couple of sentences. In Writing and in Talking, that has rarely--RARELY--ever been the case. It's been so rewarding to maintain an audience here, and I'm glad you're part of it.

      Delete
  18. Happy 21st birthday to your blog. That is an impressive stretch of blogging! I, too, wish I could discuss books and reading with you over a glass (or 2!) of wine! It seems like there are a lot of parallels between your boys and mine! It will be interesting to see the personalities of your grandsons develop! How wonderful to have new life in your family! It’s a great distraction from the depressing daily news cycle. I don’t talk about politics on my blog much but I have IRL family and friends that read it and I’m an outlier politically in my family of origin so I avoid writing about my views in much detail. There are days when I really wish I was anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa--I completely understand your reasons for tamping down political discourse in your blog. I have relatively few family members who read me, yet I still avoid some things at The Dept. because I don't want to cause a rift (or an even bigger one than what already exists). Not everything should be for public consumption, anyway.

      It would be so much fun to hang out and talk, yes! Books, boys, motherhood--all of it! Someday, let's hope.

      Thank you for such lovely words here. I'm very happy we found each other and that you are a member of my online circle.

      Delete
  19. Happy 21st to this amazing blog, Nance! I love that you had a blog with Jared (all my humans had blogs at one point too) and that Brian Williams tie report is très amusante and so whimsical! Just love it... thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maya--Thank you, my friend. It was fun having a blog with Jared. I keep telling him he should have his own SAHD blog now, but it's precisely that job that makes it nearly impossible right now. I'm proud to say that both of my sons are excellent writers and communicators.

      It's terrific that your whole family had individual blogs at one point. How did Big A find the time? I'd imagine each one was surprising and interesting, and that you were an avid reader of all of them.

      The Tie Report contains some of my best microfiction ever. It was a challenge and a lot of fun at the same time. I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
    2. *Yes*, I want to read more about the "she" in the Tie Report... I feel like she'd put the "she" in shenanigans, you know?

      Oh, those blogs were short lived. They saw me writing and wanted to write too... Here's Aaron's https://latchkeykidd.blogspot.com/
      Seven-year-old At: https://advicefromakid.blogspot.com/ (It started on Jan 1 and ended Jan 5 haha)
      Pre-literate NuNu: https://littlecan-do.blogspot.com/

      Delete
    3. maya--Love the 4Day Blog! I'm eagerly looking into all of them.

      Delete
  20. Happy twenty-first anniversary. Or birthday? Cheers to it all!
    Your blog can legally drink this year; mine can serve our country!

    I love that you had a blog devoted entirely to Brian Williams ties. Who would think of such a thing? Only you, apparently.

    Congratulations on the new baby boy--so happy for your growing family.

    We all appreciate you opening up your heart and your home to us.

    Sending positive vibes and intentional prayers that you are feeling well. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BB Suz--Thank you, and please thank your blog for its Service.

      Griffin is growing and changing so fast already, so I am doubly thrilled that they moved to be closer to us. You know what a joy grandbabies are.

      And thank you for your support and best wishes regarding my health. I am learning more each day how to manage my illness, and that's been a Good Thing.

      Delete
  21. Happy twenty-first blog birthday, Nance! As a newer reader of your blog, I loved this overview of your blogging (and family!) history. I am also delighted by the idea of Jay Leno having you on his show. What an experience that would have been!

    Here's to many more years of posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. suzanne--Thank you! I'm glad that this post entertained and filled in some blanks for you. Not that you're kept awake at night wondering "But WHO is Nance, really?!"

      I literally had to sit down and take a moment to breathe when Leno's producer called me for the pre-interview. I will never get over how ridiculous that whole part of my life was! And I ended up with an actual Brian Williams Tie, autographed and everything. It's still a mystery to me how it all got so huge.

      Thank you for reading me and commenting here. I never stop being amazed by my audience and the truly wonderful people who keep coming back to chat here.

      Delete
  22. I love how much life is woven through this post- the person you were when you started, the writer you became, and all the people and experiences that have filled those 21 years. What a gift that you not only started writing, but kept going long enough to build this beautiful community around it. Congratulations on 21 years! That’s an incredible accomplishment, and I’m so glad you’re still here. 💜

    And congratulations on the new grandbaby!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kari--Thank you so much for such a lovely sentiment about my writing. It means a great deal to me that people want to read it and, even moreso, respond to it. I value that dearly.

      I'm glad to have found you as well, along with our whole blogging community. What a positive light!

      Delete
  23. Hi Nance! J send me over to your blog because my family was going to Niagara on the Lake and J said you had been there lots. I imagine your wine filled days were very different from our sugar filled days, but I think we had some of the same bucolic living while there.
    Anyhow, congrats on your 21st bloggy birthday.
    I clicked over to the blog that you wrote with your son and the post about "We can send a man to the moon..." made me laugh because it was as if your son could see to the future. Vacuums have become cordless (well, small ones, anyway). Cup holder have gotten better (I think my cup holder is more flexible than I am). TV - well it's all on demand now so if you don't know when to watch your show it's probably not released yet. And straws! Well I think that one's mixed, right? - stainless steel straws are lovely and strong, but you have to bring it with you. And also most restaurants where I am give you either paper or compostable straws... and those are pretty useless after the first few sips. So two steps forward and one step back.
    But you know, if your son ponders more problems to fix - in between playdates and the laundry list of minutiae related to being a stay at home parent - I think he could be really on to something....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane--Hello, and welcome to The Dept. Don't you just love NotL? There are so many places to find rest and relaxation, as well as some really good restaurants. It's a beautiful town, too, with all the flowers and manicured green spaces. Yes, we are big oenophiles, but we have also really enjoyed the theater there. The productions are incredible.

      I'm glad you enjoyed Stuff On Our List! Jared will be the first person to tell you that the only ideas he has are great ones. LOL I'll make sure he sees your comment here so he can revel in your amusement and praise.

      J is a great uniter of her people. She has such a knack for friendship and a very authentic kindness. I'm happy you clicked over, and I hope to see you again.

      Delete
  24. Wow. Well, first of all, happy 21st birthday to your blog. That is a LONG TIME!!! I enjoyed this post, because i'm a pretty new reader so I enjoyed getting the history. It also made me long for the good old days when we actually thought George W. was terrible!!!!! I mean, I actually almost miss him now. Anyway... I like hearing about your sons and grandsons!!! My son and his wife plan to have kids in five years, and I'm patiently counting down the days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny--Thank you and, yes, it's a VERY LONG TIME. I honestly can't believe I've stuck with it for all these years.

      Agree about GWB: at least he had some decorum, morals, and compassion, all of which are sorely lacking in the ratbag. Every day brings some Fresh Hell, and I am always afraid to read the news. I'm continually outraged and disgusted.

      I respect your kids' 5-year plan. Rick and I married at 22 (!!), and we waited four years to start our family. It was the right move in so many ways. Your patience will not only be appreciated, it will be rewarded! Thanks for reading and commenting; I appreciate you.

      Delete
  25. Happy Blog Anniversary! Sorry I'm late to the "party."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean--Thank you. And comments are never Late, nor are expressions of good wishes.

      Delete
  26. Congratulations, Nance, and three cheers. I'm glad you didn't quit, as I've only found you somewhat recently and deeply enjoyed every post. I think those of us who've been writing that long (or almost that long) have gone through the changes you have. And why shouldn't we? Life changed and no matter what the blog, they usually reflect the writer's life (even if you have to dig a little under whatever "theme" they tend to write about!). I appreciated learning more of your back story. I suppose we should all do a bit more of that now and then!

    ReplyDelete

Oh, thank you for joining the fray!