![]() |
| found here |
1. We just returned from a 3.5 day jaunt up to Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada. It had been over a year since we had last been, and our wine cellar showed it. The drive up was...difficult. I was in some pain and had had no meaningful sleep the night before. I admit that I was worried about taking the trip and how I'd do on a ride that long. Luckily, we always seemed to find a stop just when I needed one to stretch. As usual, we stayed in the same little inn and visited our favourite winery where we bought So. Much. Wine. I fretted about getting it all across the border--I always worry about being pulled over and put in jail or something--but it was fine. Will we try it with 7 cases again? Probably not.
Our tasting there with my Canadian husband was, as usual, wonderful. We are wine nerds, and he goes into great depth talking about his wines, how he makes them, how they are aged (in oak [French, American, Slovenian], steel, terracotta, even concrete!), and lots of other oenological tidbits. Nothing makes me happier as I sip than to hear terms like sur lees, malolactic fermentation, terroir, and residual sugar.
We ended up meeting another couple at the inn who were there during our stay once before, and the wife is an avid reader. We talked books, books, and more books at breakfast every morning. What a delight. And a movie is being filmed in downtown NotL--a screen version of the book Beach Read. It was fascinating to see all the cameras and crew members and to note what locations were being used. I was glad, however, to get back home--to my own bed, my own routine, my porch and patio, my herb garden, and my orange cat. Which leads me to...
2. Piper, the aforementioned orange cat. He is 16 now, and he has started to show it more and more. He crackles when he stretches; he won't get up onto the couch or anything without help; he is yowling at absolutely nothing, even in the middle of the night. He was never this vocal when Marlowe, his sister, was still with us. I'm pretty sure he's lost some of his hearing as well. We do everything we must to keep him comfortable, including this:
| Nothing like a backyard nap beside the pond |
| "Do NOT mow my spot!" |
He loves being outdoors, and he especially likes the pond. Sam took care of him while we were in NotL, and Piper was fine. He continues to eat well and demand ice in his water. I was worried he'd be standoffish or accusatory when I got home, but
| That evening |
I was forgiven. Clearly, though, he's letting me know that I'm not going anywhere anytime soon.
3. And that's very true. Unfortunately, Jared has to have yet another operation on his foot. Back in February he had lisfranc surgery, but now a ruptured tendon has been discovered, one that has made it impossible for him to move his toes or lift his foot while resting on the heel. Surgery is soon, and we will be needed a great deal for childcare. Fingers crossed that this is The Last One and that his recovery is uneventful and speedy. Caring for Theo is always fun, usually very easy, but often very tiring for me. He is a busy, smart, and verbal toddler, and keeping up with him can be a lot. Do I love it? Yes! He recently has taken to calling me My Friend Nana. And hearing him recite passages from his favourite books is almost alarming. His memory is scary. I try to remember that and do what I can to make sure all his memories with me are good ones.
4. Speaking of Good Ones, I just finished reading Here, There, And Everywhere: My Life Recording the Music of The Beatles by Geoff Emerick. Yes, I was on a bit of a Beatles nostalgia run there for a time. The writer was The Beatles sound engineer for the bulk of their albums and singles. Not only does he provide a great deal of insight into the band's (and its members') personality, creative process, rise and breakup, he also explains the whole inner workings of making recordings--the sound, the special effects they requested, the process, and how he came to be a sound engineer. I love books like this, ones that teach me something I have no idea about. Even the technical stuff was never dry or boring because he always explained it in the context of making The Beatles music their own. (Julie, I think Ted would enjoy this book very much.) I've since gotten three more books, Whistler by Ann Patchett, Land by Maggie O'Farrell, and the one I'm reading now, The Things We Never Say by Elizabeth Strout. I think I was sort of warned off of the Strout book by a blogfriend because it wasn't very uplifting or fun and it does deal with our current politics (pre-2024 election); however, I'm enjoying its thoughtful and perceptive tone and story. My Favourites Shelf is two deep with some stacked in front now.
5. I also have a shelf devoted solely to books about President Lincoln/Mary Lincoln/the Civil War. Recently, Jared recommended a Netflix docu-series to me entitled simply Lincoln. It has three episodes and a cadre of elite historians including Doris Kearns Goodwin, author of the excellent Lincoln book Team of Rivals. The actor who plays Pres. Lincoln looks astonishingly like him, and the entire series is superbly acted and presented. Also included are many photos, some of which I hadn't seen before and found extremely moving. (And those of you that have been reading me here forever know how I get about photographs of some people.) Highly recommend.
Okay! I feel like I've caught you up. And on a Lot Of Stuff! But we can always talk some more in Comments.

I am glad you had a good and fruitful trip! The car ride sounds rough between the pain and exhaustion but it sounds like it is worth it. And that is such bad news about Jared needing another surgery! I am wishing him as speedy of a recovery as possible. Being immobilized with a toddler underfoot and a traveling wife is ROUGH.
ReplyDeleteThat Beatles book sounds fascinating! Here, There, and Everywhere was our first dance song at our wedding!!
Poor Piper. Aging is hard. I am glad you were accepted back with warm paws!!
Lisa--Thank you for the kind, kind words about Jared. You well know the challenges of raising children when you're not at 100%. He's also worried about being recovered and mobile enough for #2, who is due at the start of August.
DeleteI love that you had Here, There, and Everywhere played for your first dance! How perfect. I just asked Rick what our song was for our first dance, and sadly, neither one of us can remember! True, it was 45 years ago, but I feel terrible.
Piper is definitely an old man now, yet he acts like a baby quite often. And he is completely spoiled. Jared and Sam often remind me of how many more rules I had with their cats; Piper breaks almost all of them!
I love anything Doris Kearns Goodwin is part of -- whether she writes it or not. (Same with Ann Patchett and Whistler and Land are on my list, hopefully for this summer. Just read good stuff about the Strout, too.) You were in Niagara on the Lake; we were in Stratford. I love going to Canada and we brought back wine too (though no tastings). Hoping to get to Niagara this summer but still iffy. That sounds like a tough drive for you and I'm glad you made it to and from with no border ugliness. We had our bi-monthly wine tasting group meet-up a few days ago. (Post coming soon). We start out being very knowledegable but eight wines later, my notes get a little sketchy! I hate leaving Lizzie -- she's 14 and dealing with kitty renal disease. Still loving, still sweet, but slowing down. What will we ever do when we have to say goodbye? Piper looks so happy and content. Love that! Happy weekend to you!
ReplyDeleteJeanie--It's so hard to lose a pet! I still actively miss Marlowe, and it's been almost a year now. I think Piper still misses her, too.
DeleteSo much chuckling about your wine club notes! When we go to a tasting, I always take my wine journal along to make IMPORTANT NOTES about each wine we are going to buy. It's so funny to look at the careful and measured writing for the first 5 or 6 wines and then see the scrawling and lopsided penmanship thereafter. My notes' content also suffers mightily, often just a word or two and a copious amount of exclamation points.
The friends we met at our inn had also just been to Stratford. They were raving about the production of Othello. Did you see it?
Oh, Piper! It looks like you're keeping him VERY comfortable, and I love it. Glad he's still living his best life, with his grass and pond.
ReplyDeleteJenny--Piper is the epitome of The Spoiled Pet. It's my fault entirely.
DeleteOops. Somehow I published that comment before I was done (???) Your trip sounds great- other than getting there and back. But wine and book talk- you can't ask for more than that! On the subject of books- I'mm be interested to hear what you think about Whistler and Land. I don't like "character driven" books, so we may not have the same taste. BUT, the book about the Beatles sounds fascinating.
ReplyDeleteJenny Again--Wine and bookchat and a beautiful setting--what more could I want?
DeleteI like character-driven books very much. As I used to urge my students to do, I like seeing facets of my own character/personality and gaining insight to human emotions and behaviour. I'll try to remember to come back here and talk about Whistler and Land so that we both can see what others think, too.
The Beatles book was, indeed, fascinating. Great word for it.
Glad to hear you trip was lovely (even if the journey itself wasn't) and that Piper was forgiving and cuddly on your return.
ReplyDeleteHeart blossoms when read about Theo calling you "My friend Nana." How wonderfully lucky for both of you!
Those three books (Whistler, Land, and The Things We Never Say) are on my summer list too... Yay for good books and summer!
maya--Thank you! The first time Theo called me that I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. To be fair, he often has that effect on me.
DeleteYou know, summertime is always my best reading time. I'm sure it was because of being a teacher and finally having scads of unbroken time in which to savour books. Reading outdoors on my patio or porch is such a satisfying pastime.
Let me know when you finish The Things We Never Say; I'd love to chat with you about it (and the others as well). XO
Sitting out in the sun with a book is everything I love about summer. I should have The Strout finished today, Nance! Hope to discuss soon. (Sorry about the typos in my original comment.)
Deletemaya--I look forward to hearing your views on the Strout book. And I never even noticed the typos. I'm always aware of the fact that many Commenters use their phones or tablets, and many are commenting in between other more pressing duties. I'm always grateful and thrilled that my Readers want to chat here.
DeleteAnd I'm so happy that I've managed to work my way off the spam list... :) (I suspect you've kindly intervened somehow.)
ReplyDeletemaya--Me too! You know I love seeing you here.
DeleteI did go in and mess around a bit in my settings, but do I know what I did? Of course not! :)
I'm glad you had a good trip, that you got to talk about books, that you didn't get sent to jail with all your wine, and that Piper forgave you for going away! Whew! I teared up when you said, "His memory is scary. I try to remember that and do what I can to make sure all his memories with me are good ones." That's so beautiful.
ReplyDeleteMichelle--Thank you! It was a lovely getaway.
DeleteAnd thank you so much for the compliment on my writing/thoughts concerning Theo and memory. Being a grandmother is truly the joy of my life. It's so much easier than being a parent, yet there are still high stakes there.
I HAD NO IDEA YOUR HUSBAND WAS CANADIAN!!! Just when I thought I couldn't adore you more, you give me a tidbit like that. Well! I am thrilled that you go to NotL for your wine cellar needs. I love Canadian wines and I love the Niagara region. If it wasn't such a long trip I would suggest you come to the Okanagan to compare and contrast! And see me! I will suggest it anyway but it's a long car trip from Ohio. I don't know Big Head wines but I will certainly look into it. Most of my wine cellar is of the Okanagan variety BUT Vineland Estates of Niagara is also very special. The winemaker there is a friend of my husband's - and his dad was friends with Rob's dad, and his grandpa was friends with Rob's grandpa. I think that is VERY special! Anyway, sorry you were in pain but I'm so happy you had a nice trip.
ReplyDeleteEeeeek that foot surgery sounds...eeeeek. I was just writing about happy memories with my Grandma Fern, and it made me smile that you are working to have happy memories with Theo. His friend Nana! I love that.
Nicole--LOL! I used to ask Andrzej at Big Head to marry me during every single tasting, so impressed I was by the wines he made. He always said yes, and his wife didn't even care. My actual US husband is Canadian, too! His grandmother was born in Ontario. If that makes me even more adorable, then so be it.
DeleteWe go up to Vineland less often now, but it's a terrific winery. They have a stunning portfolio of wines and a beautiful setting. I once tasted a Baco Noir there that made me immediately buy a case for us and a case for a favourite aunt. How nice that you have a personal connection there and one of such rare depth.
I think grandparents can have such an outsize influence on children. I always want to be Theo's safe haven and cheerleader. Your Grandma Fern was probably these things for you, too.
So much to love here, and a couple of unlovely things. Getting the unlovely out of the way first, I’m sorry that you were/are in so much pain. Maddening. I’m sorry that Jared needs another surgery, and so close to baby 2’s arrival! And I’m sorry that Piper is getting so old. Bah to all of that!
ReplyDeleteNow for the lovely things! That you were able to make the drive despite your pain, and had a wonderful time, and brought back enough wine to restock your cellar! That you were accepted and loved by Piper (I love his little spot of grass)! That you have a Good Friend Grandson. My grandma and I were pen pals when I was in Alaska and she in California, and we still wrote to each other when we moved down and lived a few blocks away. I went to her house for spring break when I was in 4th grade. Such a wonderful relationship. My grandpa made me apple turnovers for breakfast (frozen, not homemade) and my grandma and I would watch Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune. Wistful sigh.
You have some great books there (taking note of the Beatles one, thank you!). I have started Whistler and am enjoying it, but I’m reading it via my iPad, I got it from the library, and I remember that I hate this format. The library has 1 physical copy, dozens of electronic, and maybe 80 or 100 audio. I guess I know how most people consume their books these days. Anyway, I got impatient and ordered a physical copy from Bookshop.org since I had a gift card. I don’t like to buy hardbacks (due to space constraints) but I am making an exception. The Strout book is next on my list, I have it out (audio) from the library but need to finish something else first. And the OFarrell book is on hold, but I’m 150th in line, so that may be a few minutes.
J--Thank you for validating my concerns. I appreciate your unflagging support. XO
DeleteI love reading about your relationship with your grandparents and the small details that make up your memories--apple turnover breakfasts, watching game shows, being pen pals even as neighbours! All of that is what I want for Theo: loving and special memories of our time spent together, both of us feeling special because of each other.
It's so interesting to me--the stats you presented--how the reading community consumes its literature. I've read one of Engie's book club books on my iPad, and I disliked it intensely. I have to have the actual, substantial (preferably hardback) in my hand to really feel as if I'm reading and becoming immersed. I've felt that way about books (they are sacred!) for as long as I can remember.
I finished up the Strout book and I've placed it on my Favourites Shelf. It touched me so deeply and is still with me. How have I never read her before? My breakfast book talk friend in NotL recommended another of hers to me, Lucy by the Sea, and I will likely read an excerpt and decide from there. She and I both loved many of the same books and were unimpressed by the same ones, too, so I value her recommendation. Anyway, Whistler is now on my side table, waiting to be opened.
I wish you had an entire room lined with bookshelves (a dream for myself, too!) so that you could buy and keep books forever or at least for the time it takes to be able to release them to the world. Wouldn't that be so wonderful?
I loved Lucy by the Sea, but there are several books about Lucy Barton, and that is not the first. I would start with My Name is Lucy Barton, then Anything is Possible. I read Anything is Possible first, because I didn’t know about Strout’s work, that was the first I read, and I was blown away.
DeleteBack in 2007 when we tried to sell our townhouse and move, the one we were looking at was 4 bedrooms. One of those rooms was tiny for a bedroom, but we had planned to have bookshelves on all of the walls. SIGH. Of course, Ted lost his job in 2008, and I lost mine in 2009, so maybe we would have had serious problems if we had had a higher mortgage to deal with. Stupid recession.
J--Thanks for this Strout info.
DeleteSIGH! I remember those years as well. And not fondly, either, when it came to the economy and the job market. I was deeply grateful for having a secure job; it was not the same for so many. If I remember correctly, Rick had a job loss around then as well.
I would put wall-to-wall shelving in our office, but there's a crib and toys in there at present. Kind of a tradeoff, so to speak!
I'm glad you got to spend some time with your Canadian husband! I'm sorry the trip was painful, but it's good that you were able to go.
ReplyDeleteMy niece posted something about my great-nephew on Facebook today that your comments about Theo brought to mind. I'm probably going to put in in my blog post when I write it tomorrow, but you get a sneak preview here:
If you spend enough time with Grayson, you will quickly come to learn, he is not your typical 5 year old. As his teacher has reminded us consistently, “Grayson is not smart, he is gifted”. Grayson also has ADHD like a mad man. Tie this all together and you can see his brain is like a Ferrari engine, with bicycle brakes 😂 He has all these profound thoughts, and adult understandings, that his 5 year old brain just can’t keep up with. We are so proud of him in so many ways, and cannot wait to see where he goes in life. Just be warned, he likes to play “dumb” sometimes just to mess with you. While trying to show off his massive brain, his Uncle Brad asked him “what's your favorite cloud” to which Gray responded “a raincloud.” And walked away. The second we left, he looked at me and said “Mama, I didn’t tell Uncle Brad my favorite clouds are Cumulonimbus Stratus!” 🫣🙄😅😑 send help to his Kindergarten teacher 😂😂😂 Cause she is in for a wild ride!
Bug--Thank you. You're right--the destination and the people made my discomforts worth it in the long run.
DeleteYes, many of those thoughts relayed in that post about your great-nephew resonate with me regarding Theo. He is so like an adult or older child that when he throws a brief Typical Two-Year Old Tantrum, we are almost shocked. It's hard to remember that he is not even three yet.
Oh, Piper. I hate it that animals age, too. Poor baby. But! What end of life care he's getting.
ReplyDeleteI hate car rides. I hate travel. I hate leaving my house because of how uncomfortable getting from one place to another is. I said what I said. My house is the best place to be.
I read My Name is Lucy Barton and vowed never to read Strout again because it hit so close to home that I was wrecked for weeks. Maybe months. Never again.
Engie--Your aversion to travel matches my son, Jared's. He, too, loves being at home, comfy, and in his personal surroundings. He just doesn't get the allure of travel because of its hardship and discomfort. He'd rather be at home in his nice house with everything exactly where he wants/needs it to be. Honestly, I feel that way a lot of the time, too. I get it.
DeleteWow! Your experience with the Strout book actually makes me want to read it. Do you think your reaction is in part based upon age, experience, being a woman, or what? And how am I so late to the party with reading anything by her?
Piper is living the life of a person who is at a spa or high-end resort eternally. Every single part of his day is perfection. We should all be so lucky.
I just felt like that Lucy Barton book really reflected some EXACT situations from my own childhood and family and it was like I was back in some very bad times again. I respect Strout because the writing was so powerful, but I want nothing to do with it again. I am crying up just rereading the review I wrote about it on my blog. Not for Engie, you know?
DeleteEngie--I went back to read your review. I don't think I was a regular reader of your blog at that time, so I missed it.
DeleteIt sounds as if that book was a very painful, close-to-the-bone experience for you. How very brave of you to finish it and then review it. I'm so glad to know where you are today, after all the difficult and heartbreaking times of your past. You have prevailed, and you deserve all the happiness you make.
I am so dopey, and it took me so long to figure out the Canadian Husband thing, but cool, you were in my province!
ReplyDeleteI remember we were all staggered by our toddlers' memories, and very careful about what we said around them (when we remembered to be) because anything you said could come back to bite you at an inopportune moment. Once we were reading a book about snakes and Angus piped up "the snake is at Darren house!" and I stared at him until I remembered we had been at a birthday party for a boy he didn't know all that well the year before and Little Ray's Reptiles was there with snakes. Then I stared at him some more because wtf. In all fairness, they have fewer things that have happened in their life to remember?
Also, it is DEFINITELY exhausting looking after a toddler, especially if you're already not at 100% I hope it's more enjoyable than draining.
Bibliomama--It's okay. It doesn't mean you're dopey at all--more like you have WAY MORE IMPORTANT THINGS in your brain. Good heavens, at least I hope so.
DeleteAngus's snake moment is exactly what I'm talking about! So many things make an impression on their baby minds, and they love making those connections. You're probably correct in your theory as to why. At least, I'm going with it because it excuses my own forgetfulness at age 67; I have had a trillion things happen in my life that are all crowding for brain space.
Time with Theo is always worth any recovery time I need afterward. He is the biggest joy in my life.
Oh the handsome Piper! He does look so very content to be outside! My Dad is currently struggling with his 16+ Border Collie. She has a bit of doggie dementia and some arthritis, but she seems to be doing ok? He struggles with her quality of life, but the vet says she does not seem to be in pain and she gets shots every few weeks to help with her mobility.
ReplyDeleteAh, I wish I could be into wine. It seems like such an interesting and tight knit world. All sorts of secret words and handshakes and such. Alas, I am not one for alcohol in general, really, and wine is one of the worst offenders to kick in my alcohol intolerance induced rash that I get all over my body, so...
I am sorry you were experiencing so much pain that you were thinking you would not be able to make the trip, but not enough that you weren't able to push through. I am glad you could experience the joys of Canada and bring back such an amazing stash! I am also sorry for Jared's surgery! Ack! And toddlers can be so very scary for so many different reasons! I am sure he will always love his Friend Nana! That's so adorable. Wishing you and your family all the best, dear friend Nance!
Gina--I completely sympathize with your dad's concern for his pet's quality of life. It's so hard to know if we're doing the right thing.
DeleteIt's interesting that you mention the Secret Club aspect of wine and wine drinkers. That's exactly the image that winemakers are trying to shed now! Wine consumption is at an all-time low, and it's especially ignored by Gen Z. Winemakers/marketers are trying really hard to demystify wine and make it more accessible: using screw tops, changing the labels to more graphic and eye-catching ones, choosing more adventurous, fun, and exciting names. None of that matters to you, of course, if wine gives you unpleasant rashes or other symptoms.
Thank you for your kind words here. I'm grateful for friends like you.
My goodness, 7 cases of wine! Lucky you! Sounds like a delightful trip.
ReplyDeleteWe have an old boy too. Clyde the cat is 17, and he too is suddenly very vocal. And so thin. He never was very heavy, but although he eats plenty he is just bony. We wormed him but it made no difference. Still a very active boy though!
G Sue--I do feel quite fortunate to be able to score a wine haul like that. We keep justifying it by reminding ourselves that we didn't go up to NotL at all last year, so if we prorate the quantity and cost, it's really not that much. LOL
DeleteYou know, Piper is also eating just fine, for the most part, but he seems skinnier to me--just like Clyde. Thanks for telling me about your old kitty; it eases my mind.
How delightful to meet a fellow reader while traveling. And it always cheers me to hear about what books people have in the queue to be read. I probably will read the latest Ann Patchett and Maggie O'Farrell books, once I get through the required list of reading for my book clubs.
ReplyDeleteI do so hope that your pain can be eased, and that Jared's foot surgery goes well and results in complete healing.
CHM--Thank you for your kind wishes. Support from my online friends means a great deal.
DeleteBook chat made each breakfast all the more pleasant in an already lovely atmosphere. I could talk about books, writing, grammar, etc. all day long!
I've started the Patchett book, and so far it's good. She has a talent for very realistic dialogue. More than one book club at the same time? It's like having the best kind of homework, isn't it?
I’m sorry you had some pain on your trip. I hope it wasn’t migraine pain, but I can definitely relate when I travel. Travel and bad sleep almost always equal a migraine for me. Speaking of, what kind of wine are you able to drink? I’m always curious because I’ve never found one that doesn’t give me a migraine. I’d love to find one I could enjoy here and there.
ReplyDeletePiper. Nance, he is so adorable. Please never stop sharing pictures of him.
I just added Whistler to my TBR list a few weeks ago.
Sending healing thoughts your way for Jared’s surgery. Keep us posted. 💜
Kari--No migraine, thank goodness! My pain is from fibromyalgia and myalgic encephalomyelitis (formerly known as Chronic Fatige Syndrome), which I was diagnosed with last year. It severely limits the things I can do, and it's hard for me to know what my abilities are even from day to day.
DeleteLuckily, I'm able to drink all wines without headache, even my old nemesis Chardonnay. Getting off of Topomax helped a great deal. Before then, I could sometimes stave off a migraine by taking an antihistamine before imbibing, especially reds. Unoaked whites were never a problem.
Jared's surgery went very well, thank you. He is looking at a long recovery and PT, but I think it was a good thing he had it done now rather than after his second son arrives in early August.
Piper--he's just a big old orange cat in every way. He will be our very last pet, so I'm making sure to get all the snuggles and personality while I still can. Thanks for seeing his appeal.
Sorry for long delay in responding: Mail Chimp went to my spam folder. 🙄
ReplyDeleteTHE WINE TRIP…
I was wondering if you would be able to make your Sacred Wine Trip! So glad it worked out with the rest stops, not getting stopped at the border, and the added bonus of talking books, books, and more books! Sounds like one of your best trips ever…
PIPER…
I have a lot of the same symptoms as Piper, lol. Looks as if he appreciates your kind efforts to spoil him.
JARED / THEO
Poor Jared! Just when he thought he was healed! Hoping the upcoming surgery and recovery go well and as quickly as possible. As for Theo… he sounds so delightful. Love that he recites passages from his favourite books! I bet his vocabulary is well beyond what is average for his age. And I also bet that His Friend Nana is keeping him well-supplied with books. 😉
RECORDING THE MUSIC OF THE BEATLES…
I absolutely must read that! Beyond my love of the Beatles, it strikes a real chord with me on another level. One of my tasks when I was an editor of EFL (English as a Foreign Language) textbooks was to organize and oversee all the recording peripherals: supervising the recording sessions (usually in London), and working with the sound technicians back in the Madrid studio to produce the cassettes that accompanied our textbooks. One of the most fun, creative aspects of my job, especially adding the SFX.
PRESIDENT LINCOLN/MARY LINCOLN/THE CIVIL WAR…
Will check that out on Netflix!
Ortizzle--So glad to see you here any old time!
DeleteYour past exploits never cease to amaze me. Now I find you were involved in recording sessions in London and Madrid! I swear, nothing you will ever tell me will surprise me. You have had an incredible life.
Jared's surgery went very well, but there is a long recovery, part of which time he will be in a full cast to give the new tendon time to ... acclimate? and heal. I hope he can be patient, but he's very like me in that area, which is to say Not Patient. We stand ready to help all that we can. And Theo has literally hundreds of books already. Both parents are big readers. I have a stash at my house for him when he visits. We love to read together.
I just read an article about aging in cats, and it seems that Piper is the equivalent to an 80-year old human. Apparently, cats age in much the same way as we do, so his mild dementia and hearing loss are not uncommon. Nor is his arthritis! You and I can certainly commiserate.
Our wine trip was so good, especially because it helped me feel more normal, you know? There are so many things that I can't do anymore (at least the way I used to do them), but this jaunt made me feel less hopeless/helpless. And the wine is SO GOOD.
I've been thinking about you; I keep seeing severe weather events/threats in parts of TX. I hope you have been spared. XOXO
Nance, I'm so happy you all had another amazing trip to NotL and will be enjoying the abundance of wine you brought home (with fear in your hearts no less!) for a long while. I wish the drive could have been made pain free though. That is such a challenge. Probably the worst understatement ever. It takes such courage simply to make such trips. I'm sure your Canadian husband was thrilled to see you and how lovely that you also got to spend more time with the couple you'd met before. Interesting conversations like that are truly a gift these days. There tend to be so many limited and dare I say shallow discussions with others right now and we all know why. I either listened to or read all Elizabeth Strout's books a while back and hope to read the new one soon. Her storytelling can be so accurate in regard to real life that it can be quite piercing. The characters stay with you for a very long time. I tried to get her new book via Libby but it's months and months of a wait so I might get it via Audible or actually read it.
ReplyDeleteI'm happy and not at all surprised that Piper is being treated like a king. As he should be. They give us so much that it's the least we can do of course. I think about Dozer and how he ruled the show and he deserved to and still, I wished I could have done more for him.
I hope Jared's surgery goes well and things will be somewhat settled in that regard before their next baby arrives. "My friend Nana" might be the sweetest phrase ever. I love that so much!
I must check out the Beatles book and the Lincoln documentary. I've come across so many snippets on the Beatles the last several months, just happenstance, which is in part due to Paul making so many recent highly publicized appearances. I also happened to see Ringo on Kimmel (a show I don't normally watch) and the memories he shared were interesting and kind of sweet. I can't remember if I told you that I listened to Doris Kearns Goodwin's An Unfinished Love Story, her own personal story about her time with her husband orf course. It was one of my book club's selections. I would not have chosen to read it on my own but I did really appreciate it. I learned so much from it and was reminded of times I actually lived through albeit at a young age. It is masterfully done. And it was a bonus that listening to It made some long trips to doctor's appointments fly by.
I know that we had hoped to chat---and we will---but I want to reassure you that whenever we do get to talk, it will be the right time. It always is. Please don't feel stressed that it hasn't happened yet. Life keeps on life-ing so we'll never run out of things to discuss and it will always be a gift to talk to you, again, whenever it happens.
Love and hugs,
Shirley
Shirley--My dear, dear friend. Thank you so much for that last paragraph. I've been struggling with ups and downs concerning my health/progress, and each setback does just that--it sets me back both physically and emotionally. I'm still navigating this condition, and it's just so unpredictable. Thank you for your grace and understanding.
DeleteDoris Kearns Goodwin is truly a national treasure. She immediately lends gravitas and import to any panel, show, or documentary. Does she narrate her book? I might try the audiobook version as my trial foray into that medium.
Jared's surgery was a success, but he's definitely hobbled (literally!) for some time to come. It's hard for him since he is Theo's primary caretaker while Jordan is working. We'll be going back over there on Monday so that he can continue to rest and recover. I feel so terrible for him, going through all this simply because of a random fall.
You understand completely about Piper. I just read an article about the science of cat aging, and if he were a human, he'd be about 80 years old. Cats exhibit the same symptoms of aging as we do, and it's so evident in Piper. I feel guilty leaving him at home when we go to the lake for a couple of days, but he doesn't do much more than sleep and eat even when we're here (although a lot of naps occur in my lap).
You make such an excellent point about conversations with relative strangers and how those chats are necessarily guarded. It's so obvious that both parties feel it, but what's to be done? Civilized and courteous people, like you and I, don't wish to offend or, worse, get into any political debate. It just goes to show you how true the ETTD assertion really is (Everything he Touches Dies). How on Earth will we last until the term is over?
Also perceptive is your assessment of Elizabeth Strout's books and their effect on the reader. I admire anyone whose writing can evoke so much emotion and hit keynotes with so many different people. When someone can see herself in a story and feel so deeply, that's simply excellent writing and an excellent insight into the human condition.
Thank you for being here. XOXO
Nance, I'm simply extending the same grace and understanding you always extend to me, dear. I"m always worrying about not being there for friends when I'm going through my own challenges but somehow it always works out. That's something we have to keep reminding ourselves of for sure.
DeleteYes, Doris Kearns Goodwin narrates her latest book. However, Bryan Cranston reads her husband Dick's letters and historical recordings are provided of LBJ, JFK, and RFK (and even a few others I think). Nobody else could have read this book. It's DKG telling her story so she had to read it. Her reading as her usual self---always so sincere and so interested in the tidbits of time behind everything---and recounting their history together and Dick's history before her which she only fully learned as they worked on the book together while he was still alive are all just so very compelling. I think you'd really enjoy listening to this book very much. When listening to books, the narrators matter so much of course. Lately, I've come across a new issue with them. I keep choosing books only to learn that they have the same narrator, Julie Whelan. She narrated The Women by Kristin Hannah and now when I hear her voice that book is what plays i my mind no matter what words I am listening to at the moment. I got through one other book she had narrated, a non-ficition book, but a third one, a novel that I had started right after the second one, I had to completely abandon. I have recognized narrator's voices and looked them up before and it hasn't been an issue but that's not the case with her. At least for me.
I used to feel so guilty for leaving Dozer as well but he always did just fine with his devoted staff and companions at On Cloud 9. I actually think he was a little disappointed when I returned. I'm sure Piper is just fine but it's normal to worry about leaving him. The plus side is that makes your reunions even better of course!
Oh, yes, I know the ETTD but how little did we know that it would be 24/7. There is no easy escape. We have to work constantly to preserve our peace. I don't know how we'll last. I just keep hoping, visualizing, and doing what little I can to ensure that we will.
I agree on Strout and other exceptional writers like her. It's such a good point that it's by far not the norm when such writers can reach so many different readers so strongly. It's only through discussions with others that I even think about that fact to be honest. I'm usually totally engrossed in my foray into the world the author had created.
xoxo
Shirley--You are the best, period. Xxooxxoo
DeleteCircling back to comment - I read this during my frenzied party prep, and today I'm lounging in my bed with my laptop catching up on blogs (and maybe napping), since the party was yesterday. Lots of fun, I'm exhausted.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you enjoyed your trip to Canada. I cracked up at your hoping to not be get in trouble for transporting wine across the border. Love that the cat prefers to be mowed around. That stinks about an additional foot surgery. What even? I didn't know that you are so interested in Lincoln and Mary Todd, etc. I hope the series is excellent. I've not read any of the books you mentioned. I've heard great things about Whistler.
I take it that you are enjoying some of your Canadian wine haul.
Ernie--After all my concerns, I truly am enjoying our wine haul. So thankful to be on a different migraine med that allows it so much more. Better living through chemistry, right?
DeleteI finished up Whistler last night. Some absolutely gorgeous writing in the final chapter, but I have to say that I am ambivalent about the ending.
I'm so happy that you were able to have a nice visit to your sweet Inn and Winery. I chuckled at your worries about getting arrested for transporting wine. I'm assuming it was purchased and not stolen? And that it didn't contain any vials of Meth or Cocaine? 🤣
ReplyDeletePiper! Hang in there, baby! I remember when our Callie was getting older, she became more vocal too. I wonder if it's because they are confused? Are worried? Who knows, but she started just barking at nothing in the front yard, all the time.
"My Friend Nana"---my heart swelled at reading this! Little Theo! I love him, and I've never met him.
Praying that Jared's surgery goes smoothly and he recovers quickly and can put this behind him for good.
I've not read an Elisabeth Strout book yet, but I should remedy that soon. I'm currently listening to Whistler (So far, I like it, but I like most of Anne Patchett's books), but I am preparing for a houseful (and property full) of people, so my reading/listening of books will be capped in a hot minute for the next week.
Wishing you and yours a delightful, safe and fun July Fourth celebration. XO
BB Suz--First of all, thank you for your anecdote about your Callie. It really helps when friends can affirm things for me, such as the habits of aging pets. I worry so about Piper.
DeleteJared's surgery was successful and went off with no complications. The worst part is his limited mobility for at least 6 weeks. Baby Boy #2 is due to arrive in early August, and he really needs to be close to full strength. We are helping in every way we can, and Theo is so easy. Thank you for such kind words about both of them.
I just finished Whistler, and I am thinking a great deal about the ending. There is some truly beautiful writing in the final chapter that made me stop and reread it just for the sheer pleasure of the skill/talent.
Enjoy your people--all 1000000 of them!--and your holiday. Your ranch will be rockin'! xo