Right this minute, my house is so clean that I am afraid to move in it. This is what days of frigid temperatures and snow will do: force me into Domestic Activity. I even did a few things that were Not Pressing, such as:
1. Polish a silver tray.
2. Finally take all of my high heels up to the spare closet.
3. Update a few pictures in the picture frames.
My fantasy basketball team is falling apart due to injury. I won't bore you with the details, but suffice it to say that this week, no amount of research and tinkering will get me the win. My big men are all hurt; my lineups are decimated. I've decided to take the week off from the NBA. Instead, I've found all kinds of interesting things on the Interwebs as I try to forget the fact that the West Egg Gatsbys are losers.
1. I found out that Ferrero Rocher, those lovely chocolate hazelnut candy orbs, exist because the company that manufactures Nutella wanted to do something with the byproducts remaining from making their signature product.
2. Do you have a cat? Do you live in New Zealand? If you answered yes to both of these questions, you might have a problem because NZ is considering a ban on cats. An economist, Gareth Morgan, is concerned that cats there may wipe out native species of birds and rodents. He characterizes cats as "neighborhood serial killers." Sigh. In my town of 53000 residents, there are supposedly 14000 feral cats. How anyone arrived at that number (quoted once in an out-of-state publication), I have no idea. I see the same two or three stray cats every week. They drive Piper and Marlowe crazy. The only killing I've seen is when Marlowe killed a mouse from our basement. I was thrilled.
3. John Boehner said recently,"Given what we heard yesterday about the president's vision for his second term, it's pretty clear to me that he knows he can't do any of that as long as the House is controlled by Republicans. So we're expecting over the next 22 months to be the focus of this administration as they attempt to annihilate the Republican Party. And let me just tell you, I do believe that is their goal -- to just shove us into the dustbin of history." Wow. He sounds bitter and upset. But it reminds me of...what was it now? "Our top political priority over the next two years should be to deny President Obama a second term."--Mitch McConnell. I'll let My Dear Readers come up with the line for this one.
4. Does/Should anyone care whether Beyonce lip-synced the National Anthem? I didn't think so. There are other things far more worthy of our distress. Besides, if Aretha says to back off, that's good enough for me.
5. I found this quote about Aging. The fact that it came from a goofy article about what happens when hot girls get old, where they mistakenly attributed it to Hunter S. Thompson, dulls it in my esteem (if only it came from Dorothy Parker instead!), but I still like it:
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming 'WOO HOO what a ride!'"
Those who know me know that I cannot even pretend to be the "skidding in sideways" type, but I like the idea of the whole thing anyway.
6. Finally, Jared sent me this ridiculously silly viddy clip. He loves to send me Interwebs Inanity, and this one made me laugh and laugh and laugh. I hope it gets to you that way, too.
What silly/interesting/fun things do you have to talk about? And did you laugh at the viddy?