Monday, July 23, 2018

No Wine Left Behind

Just when I thought I couldn't take It anymore--It being my scary bad Haircut, the unrelenting Heat, the constant Barrage Of Badness out of 45*, and a lot of Extraneous Crap that would not stop Fraying My Edges and provoking the Control Freak In Me--it was suddenly time for our Jaunt to Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada. Even though we had just zipped up in May for an event at our favourite winery, we were still determined to make our usual Summertime Visit.

I'm so glad we did.

We've made so many, many friends there that it feels like home to us. After checking in with Tim who owns the little inn where we always stay, we drove to a nearby winery to grab a bottle of a deep, smoky Meritage to sip later that evening on our balcony. The suite's balcony is nestled in among the branches of a stately, primeval redwood, whose fronds shade us and give us lovely privacy, yet provide enough glimpses of the beautiful garden below.

Our two days of wine tasting (and wine buying!) were not only fun, but they were illuminating. Rick and I both love to learn about all the aspects of winemaking and winery operations. We tasted wine from the tanks, wine that was still being coaxed out of bottle shock, and some wines that were experimental in the way that they were produced. You'll be happy to know that I proposed marriage a fourth time to my favourite winemaker (and was accepted!), and his daughter now refers to me as her second mother.

But it still didn't get me the last of the Sauvignon Blanc out of his library that I really, really wanted. Not this time. (But I did score some more of their 2015 Merlot, and they were kind enough, upon hearing that it was our 37th anniversary, to gift us a bottle of their sparkling Blanc De Noir. Gorgeous stuff, both of those.)

Despite the fact that we bought a ton of wine in May, we bought another ton. "The American dollar is really great right now," said my winemaker husband's Other Wife. "You're practically getting this for free!" Sounded good to me. (Or, as my American husband Rick always says, "It's only money; I'll just make more!") And...what if that Petit Verdot or Cabernet Franc or Savagnin or...all of it was gone next time we came? I don't need Regrets. Not when it comes to Wine; there are so many in Life already.


image

26 comments:

  1. I think I got drunk just reading this blog. Or at least a very pleasant buzz. Sounds like a great get-away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean--It really was a nearly perfect getaway. And the Thrill Of The Hunt for that Perfect Wine is always fun.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous5:09 PM

    I'm glad you had such a good time. We certainly need these little "breaks" from the craziness of #45.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dee--Me, too. It's such a relief to unplug from the steady stream of US news. And Canadians are much too polite to bring him up in conversation.

      Delete
  3. Way to go!! Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose--Oh, we did. And our many cases ensure that we will continue to!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a lovely break from the nonsense going on in our country. I like wine, but not in the ways that you LIKE wine. And you know what I was thinking while I read your words? How sad it is that the so-called leader of this country wouldn't have a clue about what you were saying, nor has he had a sip of any of it. That's pathetic, if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ally Bean--It was a much-needed break, indeed.

      I love wine and love everything about it; it's one of my biggest interests. I'd call it a Passion, but since I don't make it or explore lots of different regions all over the world, I won't do that...YET.

      45* has no real natural curiosity about anything, from what I've read or observed. He's terribly provincial, ignorant, and above all else, egocentric. I know lots of people who don't drink wine (or choose not to drink, period) and that's okay. Aside from anecdotal evidence, it's hard to find hard data right now to prove that his tenure in the White House has led to an increase in alcohol consumption (although I'll tell you right now that he's certainly bumped mine right up!), but a poll done last year about this time showed that 73% of Democrats were willing to give up drinking FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES if it meant he would be impeached tomorrow.

      And that was LAST YEAR.

      Delete
  5. I am so glad you are back, bad haircut and all. Hair grows back but the antics of 45 might never get better. Glad you bought more wonderful wine, you are going to need it. Me, too now that I think about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meredith--Thank you. As Patience is not one of my Virtues, waiting for my hair to grow out is a daily trial. Ugh. I feel Ugly.

      Without a doubt things will only continue to get worse, but I refuse to curl up and go away. My efforts with the Resistance remain as strong as ever. As you said, I can relax with my Cellar Stash for my reward.

      Stock up!

      Delete
  6. Oh what fun! Happy Anniversary!!! (and Rick's comment "I'll just make more" - love that - lol). Glad you had such a nice get-away from reality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vera--Thank you! We met in college at age 18, so we've actually known each other for...FORTY-ONE YEARS!

      It really was a Getaway From Reality: no cooking, no cleaning, no figuring out Serious Things...just fun and relaxation. Bliss!

      Delete
  7. I'm not a wine drinker, but I would still have enjoyed your trip quite a lot. We used to visit the wineries around Lake Erie back in the day & I thought it was great fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bug--We visited several of the Geneva/Lake county area wineries quite a few years ago. It's an entirely different experience, more like a bar, really. But it looks like more and more are springing up, so it's working for them.

      I know lots of people who aren't wine drinkers. They prefer cocktails. That's fine--more for me!

      Delete
  8. Dept of drunk Nance..just kidding WINE IS SO GOOD FOR YOU! Im so happy the dollar worked in your favor. Mmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kathy b--Wine is good for me in lots of ways! I'm happy, too.

      Delete
  9. In the words of Robert Louis Stevenson, "Wine is bottled poetry."

    You cannot buy too much wine, especially when you get such good bargains and you are practically married to the winemaker. We had a wine cellar included when we built our house but unfortunately it does not hold a constant temperature. So we gave away the wine racks and bought a big dual control (white/red) wine refrigerator which sits in the "wine cellar."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NCmountainwoman--How nice to see you here again!

      I so appreciate that quote. The metaphor is apt. Maybe not in the way RLS meant it, but certainly I can make it work for me.

      Our dual zone wine fridge quit on us last year (or was it 2 years ago?), and I desperately miss it. I like most of my whites chilled down to 39, and as you can imagine, this requires some planning. Storing whites in a regular fridge is dicey, and of course, they come out far too cold. We have been trying to pin down a good wine fridge, but the reviews are so mixed! Which one are you happy with?

      Delete
    2. We have a Vino Temp with dual temperature controls. It holds 154 bottles. Because we store the reds at a cooler temperature than optimal for drinking, my husband knows how long each bottle should sit at room temperature before serving. He did the research on the coolers and we are pleased with this one. Like you, we buy lots of wine if we find a good deal on a certain vintage. It's nice to have a place to properly store the bottles.

      Delete
    3. NCm--Thank you!

      Delete
  10. I worked for Canandaigua Wines for a number of years...so this post brought a smile to my face. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silver Willow--I'm off to Google; I'm not familiar. But I'm always happy to have made anyone smile!

      Delete
  11. May your wine cellars be always full. God knows we need that kind of help nowadays... :-D (p.s. - I *finally* sent you an email.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ortizzle--That's a blessing I can gratefully accept in these times. Got your email, thank you. If I ever stop running St. Patsy to her various Medicals, I will be able to answer it.

      Delete
  12. Enjoy! Sounds like a fun trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joared--It was. And one that I needed. Thanks.

      Delete

Oh, thank you for joining the fray!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...