Monday, November 06, 2017

Monday Meme: 10 Q About Me For You


After a Day Of Rest on Sunday, Mondays can often be a tough re-entry day. I'll do a light workout on Mondays with memes. Today's is one I've cobbled together from various places on the Interwebs.


1. Do you prefer coffee or tea? Iced or hot?

I prefer coffee, and I don't drink it iced. To me, iced coffee will always taste like leftover coffee that needs to be reheated. It's just wrong. I was raised on iced tea, however. My mother always had a gallon pitcher of it in the refrigerator, made fresh daily, with ten teabags and a fresh lemon. It was never cloudy and it was always lightly sweetened. I will always associate hot tea with sickness because I was always ill and it was the frontline remedy, along with St. Patsy's other medicine of choice, Vicks VapO Rub.

2. You have the remote; what channel is on?

Oh no. Here, you take it. Neither Rick nor I ever want control of the remote. He always says he can't hear the TV; I always tell him to turn it down or to mute certain commercials that I simply cannot tolerate anymore. He wants to watch a bunch of African savanna carnage, and I want to watch someone spatchcock a chicken. I press the actual digits to get to the channel; he pushes the UP or DOWN arrows endlessly, sometimes lingering on the most inexplicable things (like car auctions or Alaskan state trooper interrogations) along the way. Ninety percent of the time, if I have the remote, the TV is OFF.

3. What is one of your favourite quotes?

"There are no ordinary lives."--Ken Burns, documentary filmmaker.

4. Are you a good influence?

Holy crap, I sure hope so. I've been trying to be A Good Influence my entire life. In some cases, I've been fortunate enough to hear that I have been, from parents and former students. In the case of my own children, I can see some positive outcome from my influence. I would like to see a helluva lot more of my Good Influence on Congress. I'll keep trying.

5. What do you need to be happy?

Sigh. According to a friend of mine from college, I'll never be happy. And honestly, I don't know that answer. I'm reasonably content every day, but I always have a Little Lurking Worry in the shadows of my mind. Something can always happen. It has in the past, and it can again. Stuff is out there, waiting to smack me down. I try not to get ahead of myself--kind of keep on an even keel so that I can handle it.

6. What's your favourite season?

I think it's Spring. It feels like such a Reward for making it through the winter, and I can air out the house and smell fresh, green sprouts and damp earth. It's the season of flowering trees and surprise blooms like crocuses and tulips. I start hearing birdsongs again, and the day I unzip the heavy lining out of my raincoat---Victory!

7. Are you generally organized or messy?

Organized. I have a low threshhold for disorder and messiness. It makes me genuinely angry. And a little bit edgy, as in I Have To Do Something About It, even if it's just to identify it aloud (e.g., "Do you need all those bill envelopes on the coffee table?  And is this mail you have gone through already?"). This is difficult because Rick is...not this way. I'm trying to work it all out.

8. Are you a Cat Person or a Dog Person?

I am a Cat Owner who has a Granddog. I am a great appreciator of Dogs and like them very much, but I know absolutely that I would not want to Have A Dog. Dogs are the closest thing there is to Having A Perpetual Child, and I am not okay with that. They are Worky In The Extreme, as are children. They must be taken Outdoors. They require training and consistency. They must be played with and be socialized. If you leave for a few days, they must be looked after by suitable people. Some of them produce copious amounts of slobber. All of that is...stuff I am finally rid of now that Jared and Sam are grownups and on their own. Cats--for whom I can advocate knowledgeably--never need to be taken outdoors, can be left at home for up to a week with a self-feeder and waterer, and do not slobber. They train themselves and socialize, usually, with only their owners anyway. Sifting their shitbox once every day or two is a Nothing, thanks to advances in litter chemistry. Also, they are far quieter. The biggest drawback is, of course, Cat Hair, a menace which is both boundless and demonic.

9. How do you feel about turkey burger? Pineapple on pizza? Ketchup on hot dogs?

I have gone off of lots of foods in the past several years, including ham, bacon, beef, and most recently, turkey burger. I still buy turkey burger because Rick likes it and it's better than hamburger dietarily speaking, but I'm not crazy about it. I like pineapple on pizza, but not with ham and bacon because I don't like ham and bacon. The problem then is, what else do you put with the pineapple, pepperoni? I don't know. I don't care if I ever see another hot dog, ever. I don't hate them or anything, but I feel like they waste my time. If you want ketchup on yours, go ahead, but I'll use Cleveland's Ballpark Mustard and onions.

10. Do you play a musical instrument? Speak a foreign language? Have artistic talent?

I used to play the flute in school, but gave it up in high school because I didn't want to be in band, which only took place every day after school. I didn't love it, or even like it that much, so it was an easy decision to make. I took French starting in elementary school (fifth grade) through a special program and continued through tenth or eleventh grade. Most of it is gone as far as spoken French, but I can read and translate it pretty well. I have average artistic talent overall but nothing focused or noteworthy.

That's enough about MeMeMe this week.  Let's hear about YouYouYou or YourYourYour thoughts in Comments.

image

22 comments:

  1. Nice to hear more from you these days. I love your witty view of things and feel we would be good friends in real life, but I confess, I'm always worried about you noticing a grammatical error on my blog! Isn't that ridiculous?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose--Thank you. It's nice to see you here more often, too.

      I appreciate your compliments but feel so distressed that you worry about me nitpicking your writing over at your space. It's not something I do at anyone's place, ever. Believe me, there have been plenty of grammatical errors here at the Dept. in my posts, ones I don't notice until months or even years later, quite by accident. And my Dear Readers and Gracious Commenters are far too kind to ever mention them.

      Thank Goodness.

      Delete
    2. Oh I know you would never do that; it's my own insecurity showing. I went through school in the seventies, when English was taught pretty loosey-goosey and my parents' grammar skills had some gaps. Add to that the misconception that English teachers have perfect skills, and there you have it!

      Delete
  2. That was my sharing, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose--Thanks! Stop by for a chat again soon.

      Delete
  3. Great stuff. You should have made this a blogger's challenge. I like pineapple on pizza, I hate turkey burgers. Love dogs---interest take you have on them. I like cats but I'm allergic so I can't live with them. My dog and I both lust after them. Neither of us is getting one. As for coffee and tea I've been known to have them both in the same day. I like them both hot or cold although iced coffee needs cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean--I'm so glad to see another vote for pineapple on pizza! I wish I liked iced coffee--I love coffee ice cream--it would sure be a pleasure to have another drink option since I can't drink carbonated stuff.

      At least Levi can get a stuffed cat, maybe, for Christmas.

      Delete
  4. I drink hot tea, with sweetener and milk, in the morning. I like coffee, but too much of it (like 3 or 4 cups a week) upsets my stomach, so I have the occasional latte. All of that milk helps, I guess. Pineapple on pizza is a yes, esp with ham. Hot dogs are a yes, though not very often. I like them with mustard, fresh tomatoes (instead of ketchup), relish, and sometimes a little onion. Maya and I were discussing our favorite seasons this morning. I couldn't decide. They all have SOMETHING that I really appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J@jj--I used to drink coffee black with sugar, but had the tummy troubles, too. Now I have it with half-n-half. Artificial sweetener is a migraine trigger for me, so that's a no.

      I like a lot of things about Fall and Summer, too, but since I had to pick a favourite, Spring had the most benefit for me.

      I feel like fresh tomatoes get lost on a hot dog, but I would never say no to good fresh tomatoes on anything!

      Delete
  5. No pineapple. No. Coffee, hot and black. Lots of coffee. Parttime cat and dog sitter. I tolerate both but for full time I am DONE with catering to animals.
    What do I need to be happy? Books. And a few really good bloggers to talk to. You.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary G--I continue to allow myself to be happily and shamelessly flattered by you. Thank you.

      If you are a part-time Animal Person, this means your own personal cat is no longer with us. I'm sorry for your loss.

      I continue to struggle with reading, unfortunately. I'm glad it still brings you so much Joy. And I'm glad I stored up so, so many books in the first 50+ years of my life.

      Thanks for being here!

      Delete
    2. Personal cat is now happily living with the YD. I see lots of her and there is lots to see as the YD is a sucker and feeds her vey frequently.

      Delete
  6. 1. Do you prefer coffee or tea? Iced or hot?

    Neither. I abhor the taste of coffee, even in tiramisu. And I feel like tea is basically Barely Flavored Water. Either drink something stronger if you want some flavor, or drink water if you want to be hydrated. I also don't drink alcohol, so I'm often confused for a Mormon.

    4. Are you a good influence?

    Usually. But sometimes people need a bad influence, too! ;-)

    5. What do you need to be happy?

    TRAVEL! Obviously. Also, I need something fun to throw myself into (like circus!) and a nice mix of friend time and alone time (too much of either and I go crazy).

    8. Are you a Cat Person or a Dog Person?

    I am 100% a dog person. There are so many cats who beg to be petted and then bite or scratch after about ten seconds. Rude. Also, I'm allergic to cats. So I basically see no real benefit of spending any time interacting with cats.

    10. Do you play a musical instrument? Speak a foreign language? Have artistic talent?

    This question really makes me realize how I haven't stuck with things throughout my life. I started playing viola in fourth grade, but then I switched to percussion in fifth grade (because we weren't allowed to be in both the orchestra and the band). And then I quit the band in sixth grade because I didn't like the new band teacher.

    Then I studied Spanish in high school, but I gave it up for Italian in college. Then I never used the Italian, so I lost a lot of it. And more recently, I've traveled through Latin America, and so I've been trying unsuccessfully to get the Spanish back.

    Also, I love that you're blogging so much now :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mikey--Thank you. I thought I'd try to get back into writing more by Immersion. ;-)

      I had forgotten all about your Italian classes!

      It's true about cats and their odd Rules Of Affection. I'd go into a long explanation about the behavioral science behind it and what to do, but for Not Cat People, it's entirely useless. With cats, you're better off ignoring them In General anyway, as a rule. And even though he needs Nothing Else to burnish his considerable legacy, President Lincoln had a great fondness for cats.

      You are definitely not a Mormon.

      Delete
  7. OK-

    Iced tea. No coffee, ever. I dislike the aftertaste of coffee intensely.

    We have cut the cord, it's either on Netflix or Amazon Movies. Usually Netflix.

    “And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.”
    ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince

    I am a rule follower. I am a good influence. Except when it comes to driving. I can, uh, drive a little too fast.

    I have found that a true key to my happiness is enough sleep. If I don't have enough, I can't deal with things in the proper manner.

    Fall, fall, fall. The break from the intense heat of a long summer that lasts from June usually into late October. Our fall does not really start until November.

    I like to be organized, but I find myself not having enough hours in the day.

    Dog. I have encountered some very awesome cats, but many more awesome dogs than cats.

    Turkey burgers are fine, if dry. They need a lot of seasoning. Ketchup AND mustard, although hot dogs are few and far between. Pineapple on pizza is fine. Not great, but fine.

    Two years of Spanish did not make me anywhere near bilingual. I can do calligraphy, but I am definitely not artistic. Although I can copy a picture very well, I cannot do anything original.





    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gina--We rule-following, cord-cutting, organized, fast-driving calligraphers need a Tshirt for our club! ;-)

      I agree with you also on the importance of Sleep. Lack of sleep is one of my migraine triggers, and I also get quite hopeless and frayed (and downright stupid!) by the end of the day if I haven't had enough sleep.

      I douse our turkey burgers with Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki sauce as they cook. Adds lots of good and, as you said, much-needed flavour.

      You make a good point about cats v. dogs. Cats are so owner-bonded and person-specific, usually.

      Delete
  8. These are wonderful questions. I like pineapple on pizza with mushrooms, no meat or peppers, please. I have the same remote control conundrum as you do with Rick. I go to exactly what I want to watch, while Z-D clicks along stopping at the dumbest things, not stopping at the potentially interesting things [as decreed by me]. I like dogs, but too much work for me. Give me a cat, whose cynical outlook on life I understand: "I don't think so... unless you show me what's in it for me." All cats, always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ally Bean--Hmmm...pineapple and mushrooms? I'll try that. We don't order pizzas, preferring to make our own, so I can even do it on a small scale as an experiment.

      I like peppers quite a bit on all kinds and in all kinds of things, but they do not like me back. Relationships are hard.

      Delete
  9. 1. Do you prefer coffee or tea? Iced or hot?

    I very much dislike the taste of coffee (mocha is ruined chocolate!). I grew up on iced tea (or in our house, “would you like a little tea with your sugar?”). I started drinking hot tea in Zambia – actually on the British Caledonia flight over there. I felt very adult – ha! Just recently I’ve started drinking hot tea in the morning – no sugar. Tomorrow I need to remember that I like milk in my tea. When I was growing up we were given tea-milk, which was half iced tea & half milk. Very tasty!

    2. You have the remote; what channel is on?

    Unless it’s baseball I am not interested. Mike, however, is Rick’s twin.

    4. Are you a good influence?

    I think I might be, although I try to make sure people are WELL AWARE of all my flaws – so as to keep expectations down. I don’t think I’m succeeding in that arena, however. Plenty of expectations keep heading my way.

    5. What do you need to be happy?

    This feels complicated. At the most basic level I’d say a good book to read, a fun crochet project at hand, something yummy in the kitchen (or in my mouth), and Mike somewhere on the premises. However, to be truly happy it would also be nice to not have to worry about money or health care.

    6. What's your favourite season?

    June – maybe the first three weeks?

    7. Are you generally organized or messy?

    I am not very organized, although I try to be. I can overlook clutter for a good long while before I snap.

    8. Are you a Cat Person or a Dog Person?

    Neither, really. I have Mike & that’s enough for me to handle at the moment. I have always loved your descriptions of your cats & their hair. Ha!

    9. How do you feel about turkey burger? Pineapple on pizza? Ketchup on hot dogs?

    Turkey burgers are ok, but if it’s not going to be beef I prefer a really good veggie burger. I like pineapple on pizza, but I don’t like ham on pizza, so I’ve had the same conundrum as you. However, I’m not sure mushrooms are the answer. Can you try it & let me know? I like ketchup, mustard, & chili on my hot dog (hot dog chili – not Cincinnati chili – that would be a coney, which are ok, but I’d rather have a four way with beans).

    10. Do you play a musical instrument? Speak a foreign language? Have artistic talent?

    I took piano lessons for about 8 years, but I was never very good at it. I use the knowledge to help me sight read music in church, or practice songs at home. I took Spanish in high school, but wasn’t very good at that either. I’m also not very artistic (I’m sensing a theme here), but I do enjoy reading other people’s patterns to make things with yarn.
    This was fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy, that was really long!

      Delete
    2. Bug--I felt like the Happy One was a complicated question, too. But I am often an OverThinker.

      Honey, "June" is not really a season. ;-)

      And as I always say, anyone can go ahead and blog on my blog.

      Delete
    3. But the rest of spring seems so drippy or hot. I have a very narrow window of comfort out in nature :)

      Delete

Oh, thank you for joining the fray!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...