Monday, August 06, 2012

"Do You Like Big Tomatoes? Then Call This Number." My Sister's Cell Gets Down And Dirty

Probably there are times I shouldn't inflict my Sense Of Humor on other people.  Not everyone--even my own family--is able to appreciate it, especially without warning.  I feel like Susan deserved it, however, in the following text message exchange which began exactly as you see here:
As you can see, I was minding my own business at...4:37 PM when suddenly a photo of tomatoes appeared, accompanied by some home-canned sauce or salsa or other Tomato Product.  Then a call back number message (CB#), then another unsolicited closeup of tomatoes and another inexplicable reminder of my sister's cell number.  What choice did I have?

I felt it only fair to warn her.  There is a Law in Ohio against that sort of thing.  I was sitting out on the front porch, and I wasn't sure about jurisdiction.  It was for her own safety.  (I think the sheriff's deputy still lives one street over.)


(*Remember this guy? Susan gets fresh veggies--not tomatoes--from his stand, too.)

I called Susan('s phone) back today, and I have to wait until Friday to pick up some tomatoes.  But I did get a blogpost out of it today. 

8 comments:

  1. Nothing hotter than a saucy cell phone and firm, ripe tomatoes...except the weather this summer! I am playing a game of hide and seek with my tomatoes, or rather, a game of seek and hide. I seek the ones that look to be about to show some signs of ripening, and then I pick them and hide them from the squirrels. Thus far the squirrels have not found the spare key to the house. They ripen in the sun on our kitchen table. Sweet blogpost today, nice and juicy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I think my husband has just said all the needs to be said on this subject :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore the tomatoes, and I wish I had some motivation for my poor blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. J.@jj--I keep checking your space, and you've taken quite the hiatus! I miss your thoughts, both here and there. As you can see, I'm not exactly competing for a Pulitzer, but just keeping up. ;-)

    Oh, and I was able to score the tomatoes yesterday (Tues), and the heirlooms were terrific. We had BLTs and I made my French potato salad with green beans. Yum!


    Mr & Mrs Bug Linthead--LOL and thanks. Today I went out to the Herb & Tomato Garden and found my tomato plants plagued with whitefly. Sigh! I garden organically, so I use the yellow stickycards and hope for the best. On a positive note, my herbs are going nuts and I cannot keep up! If you lived in NEO, I would give you armfuls of basil, English thyme, orange thyme, sage, spicy oregano, French tarragon, and rosemary.

    Your yarrow continues to impress me. Do you dry it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all tomato products...but fresh tomatoes make me gag. Ditto for okra.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm. BLTs. My stupid husband and daughter hate bacon. They're insane. And no, they're not stupid, and clearly they're entitled to their own stupid opinions. But gosh, when it's 100 outside, and the tomatoes are gorgeous and you don't want to heat up the house, wouldn't a BLT be PERFECT? Sigh. Esp with a little avocado.

    ReplyDelete
  7. J@jj--I am not a huge fan of bacon with other foods, but I do like BLTs. We had BTA's last night with the last of the potato salad. Out of lettuce, so we subbed in some avos. Yummy.

    RM--Okra is icky. So sad about your tomato issue, but that just means more for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is hilarious! : )

    ReplyDelete

Oh, thank you for joining the fray!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...